First Brew day a success!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelegout

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls!

I think this is my first post here :) I just wrote a blog post about my first brew attempts, I thought it would be cool to get some feedback on my recipe and hear what others had to say about the ways to improve it :)
For my first batch of homebrew, I decided to build my own recipe. I wanted to create a light, refreshing ale to reflect the seasonal changes here in England as the first few colours of spring appear after a long, grey winter.

I decided to stick to an extract recipe for my first brew, as I was not confident enough to start mashing grains with no prior experience. I used BeerSmith software to help build my recipe; the interface is fantastic and makes for easy calculation of IBUs, gravities and alcohol content. I based my recipe on the BJCP style guide for Extra Special/Strong Bitter (Style number 8C), although Beersmith calculated the colour as 8.2EBC which is under the style guidelines for Extra Special Bitter, the beer turned out exactly the right colour for the style.
Continue Reading...
http://homebrewdiary.wordpress.com/2009 ... g-morning/

Thanks,
Henry

Henry,

just a quick question you state the fuggles as 8.5% aa on your blog, are you sure? never had any that high, didn't think they went above 5%, though I have been wrong lots of times

and that high an alphas would give nigh on 50 ibus that is bitter even for a 1060

Now go buy some real malt (barley this time) and get AGing :party:

Michael

Hi guys,
Thanks for taking the time to read it! And you're right I meant to put 4.5%! I will have to correct it tomorrrow when I'm a little more sober.
Thanks,
H

Latest posts

Back