First Brew, First Mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liverpoollad

Reaction score
Hi lads,

Purchased a beginner kit today and happy with what I have got. Along with it came festivals razorback ipa.

Did everything methodically up until adding the water. Read top up to 23 litres as now add 23 litres. Spotted my mistake after putting in 20L. It's past the measurements on the fermenter mixer and I estimate at 27 litres in total. Question is do I cut my losses and buy another kit? Will it affect the taste and abv significantly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dan

All you done is water is down a little.. You still have beer!! keep it and see how it goes.

My first brew I made loads of mistakes but It was a great learning curve

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21616

You're not the first mate, and every day is a school day! Don't bin it, see how it goes would be my advice!

Very true! I'm sure it'll be fine. A few extra litres might lower the abv a bit but as far as I can tell from the kit reviews on here its quite a strong brew anyway, so you'll certainly have something very drinkable whatever happens, and from my recent experience of making a similarly heavy hopped IPA kit (the Young's American IPA), it has a really great flavour to it, so enjoy it and remember to add less water next time!

Thanks appreciate it.

Will give it a try then and see it as a lesson learnt but absolutely gutted haha!

Just tested the gravity says 1.040.

See how it is in 5 days!

Thanks!

If you get it down to 1.010 you're still going to have a beer around 4%, give or take!

That's looking good to me. One tip though, try not to open the lid and check on it too often. Every time you expose it to air or stick things in it you risk infection. Resist temptation, check it after 10 or 11 days, if its the same reading after 14 you're ready to keg.

Thanks Matt, first time I've opened it as the instructions said 5 days then add the hop pellets. Then leave for another five days. Think it's ready to do that?

Gravity once finished fermenting is meant to be at 1.005.

Yup, general rule is hops in for 5 days so your brew wants to be pretty much at FG. Pitch them too early/long and you can get grassy flavours, I like a hoppy ale but wouldn't go much more than 7 days.
No harm in leaving them until your brews hit FG then pitching, while yeast drops out.

^ Good advice. The Razorback instructions are far too optimistic about how quickly you should add the hops. When brewed this kit it took 3 weeks to reach FG. Luckily I'd read a few reviews from other brewers and was expecting it to take longer than the instructions and waited until it was very close to FG before adding the hops.

Don't worry about the extra water - I did exactly the same with my first brew and it still turned out to be one of my favourites (a Wilko Golden Ale kit with Citra hops). I enjoyed it so much I've brewed it again since.

The Razorback has a very strong citrus hop flavour - to the extent that others have suggested only adding half the dry hops to tone it down. I wouldn't do that, but your extra volume will help smooth out the flavour.

You are fine, it's just a lighter abv than you thought. If it's 4% then maybe now it's 3.2-3.5. Not a big deal, definitely drinkable.

My last beer I did well under, strong beer lol

Just a quick question. Looking to barrel it and have 5 sling tops as well to fill. It is still bubbling but quite sporadically. Been fermenting for 12 days. Still ok to bottle? Going away with work tomorrow and not back until Friday how long can I leave it in the fermenter for? Getting itchy fingers and want it barrelled.

Thanks

The bottom of the barrel normally concave has burst out. No leakage etc but didn't expect that much pressure within two days....

Back