First brew - messed up most stages, tips on low pressure in the PB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sfd

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive got a Youngs AAA on the go and seem to have messed things up where ever possible!

I am brewing in my workshop where temperatures vary quite a bit, I have a heater running during the day but not over night. This was a real problem at the start but the days are a bit warmer now so hopeful not going to be too much of a problem. The workshop seems to be around 20 during the day, but dropping a bit at night.

Having checked the SG everything seemed good so I went ahead and siphoned the beer into my PB and managed to suck through a load of sediment so things are looking very cloudy in there. I also forgot to add the sugar so just chucked it in afterwards, on reflection I wonder if I should have given it a bit of a stir? I was careful when tightening the tap and lid to not over-tighten and gave everything a good old lube up to help.

Any way, now 5 days later and I have poured an inch of beer into a glass and it seems flat, no head, very cloudy.

Advise on how to save things would be much appreciated. Do I need to get it a bit warmer? add more sugar? give it a stir? give it a blast of CO2? or worst of all do I just need to be patient and wait?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Did you record the OG and FG? Five days is still early. I would leave it as the priming sugar will work regardless. You could add some finings.

I did take the sg at the start and end and everything was looking good, can’t remember what the readings we’re but it tallied with the instructions and a couple of YouTube vids :)

I’d rather leave the findings out as want it to be vegan friendly 🌱

A PB will not condition or carb your beer in 5 days!

Patience, patience, patience!

As long as you added 80-100g sugar it will carb. If ur worried the sugar hasn't dissolved give it a shake/swirl but avoid getting ur beer in contact with any lube/petroleum jelly u used.

I know it's the last thing u want to hear as a new brewer but time is a healer and the more u mess the more damage u will do!

The best advice I ever got from this forum was:
2 weeks fermentation
2 weeks warm condition
2 weeks cold condition

Once u can trust yourself with this you can worry about additional steps.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advise, I’m happy to wait (if I have to!) just want to make sure everything is going to plan kinda.

should I just leave it for another week and hope for the best? If I am loosing pressure does this really matter?

It’s defiantly been a big learning curve! Next time I need to give myself more time to work through each step.

Sounds to me that that your PB has leak somewhere. If you have primed it and it is in somewhere reasonably warm say more than 18*C you should have a positive pressure, even after two or three days, and after 5 days should be enough to dispense about half a pint without much trouble.
Apart from reading this
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67042I suggest you go round all the joints above the 'beer line', particularly in the cap and its fittings, with soapy water and see if you can see if it is in fact leaking somewhere. PBs are notoriously leaky and you might have one of those.
But do not allow your tap to glug air back into your PB or your beer may spoil.

Just to check, Will it be producing enough gas to check for a leak, or do I need to top it up to get the pressure up?

I now have a heater belt, I’ll strap that on tomorrow and get cooking!

Just to check, Will it be producing enough gas to check for a leak, or do I need to top it up to get the pressure up?
You won't know if its leaking until you have tried soapy water first. Your priming sugar should still be producing CO2 (again assuming your PB is warm enough) so if it is leaking you might find the leak. If you don't find it you could either leave it a few days to see if the pressure does in fact build up (ie no leak) or use a cartridge to pressurise the PB then go round all the joints and also the PB shell itself particularly on the seams to see if it leaking. I have had leaks from pinhole leaks in the shell, seam leaks in the shell, cracked caps, main O ring gaskets, RV rubber band, and in the past when I had gas injection leaks on all those fittings too. And thats why my sole remaining PB is going to be my last.

Thanks for the advise. I will check over tomorrow and report back.

2 weeks + 2 weeks + 2 weeks is the best advice I also received a long time ago.

Mistakes will also made along the way. Roll with the punches!

Just thought I would put in my 10 pence worth. I have two PBs that I use intermittently. I have always used about 8 winds of PTFE plumbers tape on the top thread making sure that I cover the whole of the thread. I also put a single layer on the top ridge. Just my experience.

Thanks for all the advise, I put a bulb of co2 in and instantly heard leaking coming from the top cap. A quick spray and some tightening has resolved the issue.

The leak is directly inline with the seem, I will have a good inspect when the barrel is empty and potentially smooth over any flash around the seal.

Had a cheeky 1/2 pint last night and it was defiantly drinkable. I’ll be patient and wait another 3 weeks though before tucking in!

Thanks again for all the advise and help

Back