First ever Brew - Cooper’s Brew A IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfingobo

Reaction score
Hi all

Getting ready for my first brew, got everything arriving from brew2bottle today but they didn’t have any malt extract in stock which I understand is recommended to be added to this kit.

My plan is to add 500g light and 500g medium spray malt from wilko to this brew along with 500g brewing sugar, but my wilko order won’t arrive until middle of next week and I’m keen to get going! So what would all of you do? I have a Kilo of brewing sugar I can put in and get it started straight away.

I think I know that the answer is to wait for the extra malt arrives, but all opinions welcomed.

I’m not planning to add any hops to this one first time, but if it comes out nicely I’ll be looking to brew it again with some dry hops for comparison

I would wait until the malt arrives, the brew comes out quite dark for an IPA so would leave out the medium DME if that's an option (unless you like darker beer) just go with the light and brewing sugar. I've got this brew cold crashing at the moment and will be kegging it as soon as a corny becomes available, I added a dry hop as when I brewed this before it wasn't very hoppy but a good idea to try it as it is to start with as I do that as well. Good luck

Thanks banbeer

so would you go 500g light 500g sugar or 500g light 1kg sugar?

is it mostly a colour thing or does it change taste using a darker spray malt?

No problems,
so would you go 500g light 500g sugar or 500g light 1kg sugar?

is it mostly a colour thing or does it change taste using a darker spray malt?
I have used medium LME in a MJ Juicy Session IPA before and it altered the taste as well as the look and I won't be doing it again!
As for the amount of dextrose you use it all depends how strong you want it to be, maybe use 750g and use the rest for carbing when it's done?

Thanks I’ll give it a go and report back

big package just arrived, it’s going to be a difficult weekend not getting a brew on especially as it looks set to be wet all weekend so nothing to distract me!

Another option is to add 500g of the brewing sugar and brew it short to maybe twenty liters. This will increase the bitterness some but leave a fuller flavor.

Best bet though is to wait for the correct ingredients then make it per the instructions. Then you'll have a solid baseline to decide if you want to modify the next one

It’s ok, I’ve had notification it’s shipped now so hopefully be with me sooner than expected.

I bottled this yesterday. I added 1kg brewing sugar and 1kg light malt. I brew in my loft and it's been really warm up there, so it was fermented at around 26 degrees so I was a but worried as it reached 27. I dry hopped after a week, and bottled after another 3 days. Tasted the sample and wow, it's great. SG 1053, FG 1010 giving me 23litres at 5.6%. Can't wait until it's conditioned!

Back