First Gold Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
In what should be my last partial mash, before moving to AG, I decided to use up my last kilo of extract and do a simple low strength single hopped pale ale. I bought some First Gold on a whim earlier in the month because I liked the description and thought it would go well in a pale ale. I also wanted something other than my usual US styles.

Recipe as follows:-

Target OG 1040
Target FG 1012
IBU 35
SRM 4
ABV 3.7%

60min Boil

2000g Maris Otter
1000g Light DME
250g Crystal Light

20g First Gold FWH
20g First Gold 20min
20g First Gold 5min
40g First Gold 0min

Rehydrate 11.5g Safale S-04 and pitch at 20c.

Not tried first wort hopping before, so I thought I'd give it a try and see if I can notice any difference. The flame out hops are currently steeping after cooling to 80c. I normally chuck them in as soon as I turn the flame out, so again will be interested to see if the temperature makes a difference (I guess it must otherwise no one would do it!).

The only issue I've had so far is that my 250g light crystal looks decidedly like the pack of dark crystal I have, so it make turn out a bit darker than expected. Hopefully this small amount won't make too much difference.

It remains to be seen if I've overdone the hops compared to the OG, but I'm yet to try a beer that I find too hoppy, so I figure I will be ok.

Tomorrow's task is to make my new stainless boiler watertight, ready for my next brew. No more extract!

Hi Hops most of my ales now i use 100>150g of hops, ive dumped all early hop additions lately apart from bittering ive found i get more flavour and aroma leaving the hop additions to last thing and a nice big dry hop

That sounds like a great brew H&D, you've only got 35 IBUs against a 1040 OG, which is a good balance. Lots of hop flavour though, never a bad thing IMO. :thumb:

Thanks gents. Just finished the clear up, with plenty of time to spare before SWMBO gets home from work (and inevitably comments about the smell).

Was slightly more efficient than normal and got 1043 OG, so will turn out about 4%. It's definitely not light crystal, judging by the sample.

@MyQul - I can't take to much credit for the hop schedule, it was a combination of my original one and the link that Clibit posted a few days ago. Although if it turns out nicely, I will claim it!

@SteveJ - I haven't actually got any more hops for a dry hop (for the first time ever!). Was thinking I might try one without. Although I have about a week to change my mind.

Time for a beer I think.

Interesting, my next brew is an AG first Gold pale ale (albeit more in the 5-6% abv range). I'm using 25g Magnum as the 60 min bittering hop then First Gold for flavour/aroma. Current First Gold schedule 20g 10min, 20g 5min and 20g flame out min. I think I might go with your idea of 40g for the last addition.

Interesting, my next brew is an AG first Gold pale ale (albeit more in the 5-6% abv range). I'm using 25g Magnum as the 60 min bittering hop then First Gold for flavour/aroma. Current First Gold schedule 20g 10min, 20g 5min and 20g flame out min. I think I might go with your idea of 40g for the last addition.

Seems quite a popular hop at the moment!

Might have to nick your hop schedule for my next Fist Gold Ordinary Bitter

Out of interest, what's the difference between pale ale and ordinary bitter? When I think of bitter, it conjures up something very brown and served at room temp, but don't really know what it is.

Out of interest, what's the difference between pale ale and ordinary bitter? When I think of bitter, it conjures up something very brown and served at room temp, but don't really know what it is.

Bitters are in fact a sort of pale ale (English pale ale really) Your receipe could be considered a Bitter. Dependant on strength there either Ordinary, Best/Special or Extra Special (ESB) yours could fall into the Ordinary of Best category I think

Edit: Just checked the BJCP yours is in the Ordinary/Standard category, just.

Bitters are in fact a sort of pale ale (English pale ale really) Your receipe could be considered a Bitter. Dependant on strength there either Ordinary, Best/Special or Extra Special (ESB) yours could fall into the Ordinary of Best category I think

Edit: Just checked the BJCP yours is in the Ordinary/Standard category, just.

Ah, so is it kind of an English and American thing then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_ale

Pale ale is the name for a group of ales. Bitter is one type of pale ale. Prior to coke being used to kiln malt, all beers were dark, cos malts were all dark. The Americans have taken English styles and made their own versions, largely through using their own hops. But just use the terms pale ale and IPA. English pale ales are sub divided into ordinary bitter, Best bitter, ESB and IPA. We now have blonde and summer ales, which also are pale ales.

Well I was going to leave it alone until the weekend, but I never can! Those yeastlets have been working fast, it's down to 1013 already! It's got a bit warmer than I'd like at 22c, so might have something to do with it.

The sample tasted nicely hoppy, but distinctly English, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Well I was going to leave it alone until the weekend, but I never can! Those yeastlets have been working fast, it's down to 1013 already! It's got a bit warmer than I'd like at 22c, so might have something to do with it.

The sample tasted nicely hoppy, but distinctly English, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Sounds lovely Hops, I've done a couple of bitters now with First Gold and both have been lovely. May try a pale ale using First Gold next, will be interested to hear how it turns out, keep us posted.

Sounds lovely Hops, I've done a couple of bitters now with First Gold and both have been lovely. May try a pale ale using First Gold next, will be interested to hear how it turns out, keep us posted.

Cheers sparpro. Yes, I did read your post and your brew sounds great. I've overlooked English hops a bit, so I think I will use them a bit more often in future. I've got a couple of hundred grams of EKG that I might do a pale with soon.

Will keep you posted on this one.

Hi Hops most of my ales now i use 100>150g of hops, ive dumped all early hop additions lately apart from bittering ive found i get more flavour and aroma leaving the hop additions to last thing and a nice big dry hop

I've given in Steve and ordered another 100g to dry hop with. Will probably chuck the lot in as I hate having half opened packets of hops kicking around in the freezer.

What a fantastic hop this is. Tried a Badger First Call at the weekend and just tried this one and both have that marmalade description. Mine still has the harshness of the dry hop that could do with mellowing a bit and it looks a little like pond water for some reason, but other than that I'm very pleased!

Latest posts

Back