First Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did do a diacetyl rest but I think it tastes popcorny.

Not sure where I went wrong with the diacetyl test if so. Maybe heated it up too quickly?
Heh - I do find it's easy to get paranoid / overcritical about possible 'off' flavours in your own beer... give it a week, drink some commercial stuff then come back to yours and I bet it will taste fab ;-)

So I did do a diacetyl rest but I think it tastes popcorny.

Not sure where I went wrong with the diacetyl test if so. Maybe heated it up too quickly?

Unlikely to be an issue. I wonder if it spent the first day getting up to 18C then only got 1 day or so at temp before the cold crash. I'll usually hold lagers at 18C for 3 or 4 days before crashing.
Rapid cold crashing has been investigated by the guys at Brulosophy and doesn't appear to be the source of off flavours, so I'll take it from 18C to 1C over 48 hours. No issues so far.

19261BF2-AAB7-4529-8444-C70216E760C1.png

I wonder whether there was just not enough active yeast 4 or 5 years after fermentation finished to clean up the diacytl

48 hours should be adequate for a good D-rest. You got up to temp and back down in short order!
And yes, you'll have plenty of active yeast in suspension to do the job.
I never had an issue carbing bottles even after a 4-6 week lagering period in my pre-keg days. The ability of yeast to keep working amazes me.

It’s in my kegerator at 6c. Do you think there is any merit in warming it up for a few days if the taste doesn’t fade?

Latest posts

Back