First Mead bottled...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scots_Pagan

Reaction score
So I've bottled my first mead (a simple honey mead, with just a little orange for acidity) as gifts for people...

Next time I will buy foils, but aside from that I'm rather chuffed with the result.

c8xPq8zl.jpg

That looks great. Love the label too.

Nice one!
Ps is that an AG parrot? (I used to hsve one)

Matt.

Haha, I was trying for ages to work out what the hell you were talking about...then i saw the reflection of my bat.
It's a huge toy bat plush hanging from my ceiling (because for some reason my fiancé won't let me have a giant Fruit Bat!).

Thanks...label is amazing...I tried designing one, it would have been OK i'm sure, but she is a much better designer than me. Got a peach wine I should post as well...

syzygy said:
I've done some blackberry mead, which I'm going to open tonight!!

How long's it been in the bottle? Takes a while to get really good, does mead, even flavoured ones.

oldbloke said:
syzygy said:

How long's it been in the bottle? Takes a while to get really good, does mead, even flavoured ones.

about 2 month. I know it's a bit early, but it's xmas eve so I'm going to have a go.

syzygy said:
oldbloke said:
syzygy said:

about 2 month. I know it's a bit early, but it's xmas eve so I'm going to have a go.

I always use small bottles for mead, so if it's not that great when I open one I can leave the rest. Mind you they tend to be nice enough, it's just they get even better if left

oldbloke said:
I always use small bottles for mead, so if it's not that great when I open one I can leave the rest. Mind you they tend to be nice enough, it's just they get even better if left

'they' always recommend that blackberry wine is left for upto 6 months to mature. However I've cracked open a bottle not long after it's been bottled & always tasted fine. So while I'm sure it may be a bit better left for a while, I reckon it'll still be a decent drink.

Looks really professional.

How did you make the labels ?? On a computer program then print them off ???

syzygy said:
oldbloke said:

'they' always recommend that blackberry wine is left for upto 6 months to mature. However I've cracked open a bottle not long after it's been bottled & always tasted fine. So while I'm sure it may be a bit better left for a while, I reckon it'll still be a decent drink.

Well... A few wines are rub when new, most are drinkable, a very few are great. Almost all are good enough after a couple of months, but some do like a bit longer. I make a judgement at bottling time from the siphon taste as to when to ope the first bottle, and judge from that when to really start on a batch. But I have a section of winerack set aside for aging stuff, and when we occasionally grab a bottle from there, the difference is definite

oldbloke said:
Well... A few wines are rub when new, most are drinkable, a very few are great. Almost all are good enough after a couple of months, but some do like a bit longer. I make a judgement at bottling time from the siphon taste as to when to ope the first bottle, and judge from that when to really start on a batch. But I have a section of winerack set aside for aging stuff, and when we occasionally grab a bottle from there, the difference is definite

Oh I hear you there...
That peach wine I also just bottled...had a glass last night with Xmas dinner, and WOW the difference...only ben a couple of months but it's so much smoother and nicer. I regret taking a few glasses before now; I will have no bottled left once all those gifts are gone. Ah well, I can always make more..

Welsh_Wizard said:
Looks really professional.

How did you make the labels ?? On a computer program then print them off ???

I'm a Graphics Designer and so's my partner (she's better than me tho!)...
We both had a go at designing a label; hers was far superior to me, and she took about half the time on it. Sigh.

Yeah, done in Adobe Illustrator, printed on my laser printer and cut to/sticked on. Surprisingly good looking...would maybe get in glossy paper next time, but aside from that...

Back