First Munich Weizen Some Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster324956

Reaction score
Hi All ,

Have just got my first AG Munich Weizen (followed double decoction method) on the go pitched with wyeast 3068 smack pack which i've split in two ,the second batch will be pitched into a Dark Dunkle in a week or so.

The yeast has taken off nicely and i've got about a four inch kursten on top its got a nice spicey smell to it, i've kept things cool as its in the larder at 12 degrees with the thought of bringing the brew out after seven days and raise temp to between 18/20 for another seven .

My intention is to bottle the lot .

My question is, should after fourteen days as planned bottle the lot primed with about 75g golden caster sugar (presuming my fg is ok) or keg for about four weeks as i've always done with preivious ales ??.

I've gone to a lot of bother with a double decoction and all and I don't want to spoil what seems to be a really nice beer ,hense asking the forum for there views .

Cheers :cheers:

i too would bottle it for best results , i have done over 10 wheat AG now and my best was from the bottle , its good in a keg (plastic) but not great

Thanks for reply Mark and Pittsy ,Pittsy the Dunkle recipe is based on one of yours so double thanks :thumb: :thumb: .

Just to make sure I've got this right after 14 days you would prime and bottle ( FG permitting) as posted ?

:cheers:

yes , no need to put into 2nd fv for clearing ,(not including batch priming of course) just cleaning some bottles myself for a Belgian blond ale , also drinking a heff with same yeast as you've done there (its too young but bloody nice) and also waiting on a orange/weissbier all going in bottles

Thanks Pittsy , you've confirmed my original thoughts .I needed to make sure as this is my first attempt at this style and going from the aroma from the FV namely spice and a faint hint of banana ,I'm in line with the wheat brews on other threads i've read , hopefully i'll get close to the beers i've tasted to !! .

You've got an impressive range of beers going on there ,time space and bottles leave me wanting i'm afraid ,good luck with all of them .

Weizen def a bottled beer...one of the only commercial beers to from fermenter to bottle without any cold conditioning.

Drink it quick though as it does tend to dry out over a couple of months...

Latest posts

Back