First Partial Extract Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich747

Reaction score
Its my birthday, the wife's at work, kids at school it's time to brew!!

My first partial, Midwest Octane IPA - next full AG!!

The kit:

photosssq.jpg

Mash temp ok at start:

photocopy2h.jpg

In with the grains...

photocopy3g.jpg

Its a cheap stock-pot, on with the sleeping bag!!

photocopy11.jpg

Not too bad after 30 mins mash.....

photocopy4.jpg

Up to the boil and in with about 8lbs of LME.....

photocopy6.jpg

First Hop addition for whole boil (2oz Cascade, 90 mins)

photocopy8.jpg

1oz Willamette for 30 mins. Whirlfloc tab for last 10mins and 1oz Goldings for last 3 mins.

Cooling to 26 degrees C took 10 mins.

photocopy10.jpg

Top up to 19.5L, vigorous stir and addition of the yeast (started yesterday)

photocopy9.jpg

Into the fermenting fridge OG 1063 :whistle: :whistle:

photocopyq.jpg

Just as I was clearing up, this lot arrived (2 Buffalos and all the gubbins for modification)....All grain here I come!!!

photooys.jpg

By a strange coincidence I did my first proper partial mash today!
I've steeped crushed crystal quite a few times but this time I used half a kilo of malt.
What size is your stock pot? I fancy moving to a boil in a bag but would need something bigger than what I've got for that. I have a cash and carry card so can get a good cheap commercial stock pot. Isn't it so much cheaper to use grain? I'd never really checked it out before. I'll keep an eye on your post for when you tell us how good it is. :cheers:

I was a bit worried about 'aeration' because the instructions said to do as much as poss to create an O2 enriched wort for the yeast to work. I just stirred with a little elbow grease for a couple of minutes, but here is the result - it's now bubbling like mad!

photozvz.jpg

Pearlfisher said:
Can't quite make out the brand of LME you used ? But I've never seen it before ,could I ask where you bought it from please?

Looks like Midwest Supplies - im guessing it came as a pack from USA

critty said:
I love partial extracts. Had good results from them. One thing I want to ask is how the hell you coverted a fridge for fermenting?!?!?

Here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25421

Pearlfisher said:
Can't quite make out the brand of LME you used ? But I've never seen it before ,could I ask where you bought it from please?

Midwest supplies, I bought it in the USA.

Duxuk said:
What size is your stock pot?

It's 15L, £15.95 eBay purchase. TBH, I would spend a little more as it is VERY thin. There are links on this site to a German eBay supplier who sells stock-pots of very high quality. I've got the Buffalos now, so will continue on with them.

:cheers:

Rich747 said:
Duxuk said:
What size is your stock pot?

It's 15L, £15.95 eBay purchase. TBH, I would spend a little more as it is VERY thin. There are links on this site to a German eBay supplier who sells stock-pots of very high quality. I've got the Buffalos now, so will continue on with them.

:cheers:

I got a 19Ltr one for the same on Ebay, it is thin but then I guess it heats up quick ( have not had chance to try it yet :cry: ) - obverse is I guess it cools down quick as well !

Next stage - boring pics!

After 2 weeks, steadied at 1019 (OG 1063); into the secondary and the addition of oak chips (boiled for 10 mins).

photo111ak.jpg

And back into the fermenting fridge......cornie next!!!

photo11eyt.jpg

Ok, daughter asleep, armed with baby monitor - 1/2 hrs free, ONWARD!!!!

14436055.jpg

Nice and clear, floating wood chips!!

83999720.jpg

Into the cornie...

79710613.jpg

Head purged, 15lbs on top and leave for a week :sulk: :sulk:

91755210.jpg

Back