First post, corker mashing up corks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bando

Reaction score
Dunno what goes wrong but 80% of the time my corker mashes the hell out of my corks and the seal is terrible, almost broken completely and difficult to use a corkscrew to remove and try again without contaminating the wine attached pixture below, most are worse than that that I've done recently

Attachments

• 16329909974197814162954298762743.jpg
    16329909974197814162954298762743.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 31
Jinx! That does look bad - looks like the piston is too small in diameter.
1632994744627.png
I use one of these - effing brilliant. Got mine for £2 about 10 years ago.

Jinx! That does look bad - looks like the piston is too small in diameter.
View attachment 55013I use one of these - effing brilliant. Got mine for £2 about 10 years ago.
Yeah the piston pushing it in is only about half the size of the cork, I've had some luck sticking a 5p coin on the cork (perfect size) before pushing it in and had some luck but still not practical, yoir corker looks interesting indeed how does it work

It's excellent - cheap as chips on ebay - just been looking. Search for sanbri corker. It squeezes the cork between the 2 handles, and then you push the cork in with the lever.

Hi @Bando. I use that corker all the time for composite corks to seal Belgian beer bottles. I've never had the slightest trouble with it. You could try using a better quality cork, perhaps. I must confess, I've never tried to use ordinary wine corks.

Hi @Bando. I use that corker all the time for composite corks to seal Belgian beer bottles. I've never had the slightest trouble with it. You could try using a better quality cork, perhaps. I must confess, I've never tried to use ordinary wine corks.
I've tried every cork on multiple homebrew websites all corks have great reviews, must be the corker maybe the piston is out if place but it is very small piston creating too much force in a tiny place so it drills its self into the corks rather than pushing the whole thing in

I've tried every cork on multiple homebrew websites all corks have great reviews, must be the corker maybe the piston is out if place but it is very small piston creating too much force in a tiny place so it drills its self into the corks rather than pushing the whole thing in
Sounds like a dodgy corket. The barrel is tapered so that it compresses the cork; the business end of the plunger shouldn't be much smaller than the narrowest part of the taper. The end of my plunger (no smutty remarks or references to Trump, if you please, ladies and gents) is 14 mm.

Sounds like a dodgy corket. The barrel is tapered so that it compresses the cork; the business end of the plunger shouldn't be much small than the narrowest part of the taper. The end of my plunger (no smutty remarks or references to Trump, if you please, ladies and gents) is 14 mm.
Huge difference

Attachments

• 16330065599341030706326846518535.jpg
    16330065599341030706326846518535.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back