First time bottling - do I need to sterilize new bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schford

N00b
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So after 2 weeks fermentation in my coopers kit, its time to bottle.

I did not sterilize the coopers container initially as the instruction said you did not need to first time.

But I dont know what to do with the bottles - they have never been used - do I need to sterilize them before first use?

If so - should I sterilise then bottle straight away or sterilize, dry then bottle as I have read conflicting advice.

I have this kit for sterilizing the bottles - http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/complete-bottling-equipment-package-deal-p1767

Thanks!

Stuart

The kit (Coopers kit, not the bottling kit) you have is the one I used for my first brew and I took it at face value that sterilising was not necessary for the bottles to be sterilised.

Unless you have any reason to sterilise them, I would just use them as they came first time. Basically, you just want to do your first brew, remember to leave in the fermenter 2 weeks and not one, bottle and keep warm for 2 weeks, then in the cool for another two weeks.

Except, of course, for the sampled bottles. :whistle:

Last edited:
you will bang through the lot in 10-15 mins with that setup anyhow. why risk it?

Personally I wouldn't assume that new bottles are clean so I'd sanitise them, what is there to lose?

Thanks guys I will sanitise em :-) - which leads on to - shoudl I let them dry before bottleing or just bottle when damp?

Thanks guys I will sanitise em :-) - which leads on to - shoudl I let them dry before bottleing or just bottle when damp?

Check the documentation but if the Brew Safe no rinse sanitiser provided with your bottling kit is anything like the Starsan no rinse sanitiser that I use, by the time you put the last bottle on the tree to drain, the first bottle will be ready to use.

thats the plan then wash - on tree for a bit then bottle!

Now stupid question no 2 :-) Do you put the coopers Carbonation drops in to the bottle before or after the beer?

Thanks

Stuart

PS Assume I need to sterilize the caps as well?

Be anal about cleaning. It's heartbreaking is your first, and hopefully last infected brew. Avoid heartbreak at all costs. It takes very few minutes.

Well I bottled up 36 500ml bottles - seemed to be lots left but below the tap - assume there is a reason for that. Though I did tip some out into a glass chilled it and tried it - was kinda underwhelmed!

Latest posts

Back