first time cleaning 7 gallon chronical

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceteri

Reaction score
I'm really confused about cleaning products for stanless steel equipment. I have just purchased a Ss Brewing 7 gallon stainless chronical fermenter. The directions say TSP should be used to clean first time around.

I do not have this so i tried to find some online and i cant find anyone who sells it in the UK, and there are threads from other forums saying it is not environmentally friendly and people dont sell it anymore. So my question is, what should i use instead??

The instructions with the conical state chlorine based products should never be used, as they cause pitting of the stainless steel that cannot be repaired. I have also just purchased a 20l braumeister, the cleaning kit i purchased specifically for this from brewuk comes with Halapur MP (which is chlorine based as far as i know) will this cause pitting in the braumeister? why would this be suitable for the braumeister and not the chronical?

The instructions with the chronicle also say oxiclean should not be used in combination with hard water, so i have absolutely no idea, what cleaning products to use. i figured i could use the same product for both the braumeister and the conical fermenter as stainless steel is stainless steel.

can anyone offer some advice?

I believe you have to follow manufacturer's instructions regarding use with s/s. A too aggressive chlorine solution will attack s/s.

I use VWP witch has instructions for dilution for s/s.

Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer not a cleaner. I use it a lot but the equipment has been previously cleaned with VWP.

I believe you have to follow manufacturer's instructions regarding use with s/s. A too aggressive chlorine solution will attack s/s.

I use VWP witch has instructions for dilution for s/s.

Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer not a cleaner. I use it a lot but the equipment has been previously cleaned with VWP.
Agree entirely about Starsan not being a cleaner, but once the vessel is cleaned it will then need sanitizing. The link above covers cleaners and sanitizers, plenty of choice.

Generic unscented Laundry Oxi cleans all my SS equipment and a starsan solution to sanitise. ive noticed no pitting or problems with anything.

only problem with the laundry oxi ive had was using a hot water strong solution and leaving it to soak/cool overnight, it ended up dropping crystals which welded themselves to the bottom of the vessel needing kettles of off the boil water and a good scrape to clear.. whoops!!

Back