First Time CO2 Advise Needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisalloneword

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently took the plunge and ordered a kegging kit as well as a can of CO2 from my local bottle shop.

Setting up for the first time, I don't get and flow of CO2. Inspecting the connectors it seem the CO2 canister end is too deep and the regulator wont reach the valve (which does release CO2 when depressed).

Can anyone advise if I need an adaptor to get this working or will some of the equipment need returning?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• CO2.jpeg
    CO2.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 52
Briefly open the CO2 cylinder valve for a fraction of a second ( outside ) to clear any debris out, if no gas comes out your cylinder is empty.
The regulator doesn't need to depress any pins on the cylinder. Seat the regulator stem on the gas bottle and thread on the regulator nut. Do this up pretty tight. Open the valve and you should not hear gas leaking but will see the needle move on the gauge with the red bit on. This is your cylinder pressure.
The other gauge will start having a reading when you turn the bit that has 21 009 on it clockwise.
Then press the pin down on the ball lock connector and the gas should jet out.
When you set up a cylinder and kegs check everywhere at least twice for leaks.

Have you connected it up and opened the valve on the gas bottle

If I open the valve handle on the CO2 canister nothing happens. However if I depress the spring loaded valve inside it releases the gas. Thats why I assumed the regulator needed to depress this to function.

Is it possible the canister is faulty?

Is there a washer inside the regulator where it attaches to the bottle making the plunger sit too far away from the bit in the bottle. I seem to remember I may have swapped mine for a thinner one

If I open the valve handle on the CO2 canister nothing happens. However if I depress the spring loaded valve inside it releases the gas. Thats why I assumed the regulator needed to depress this to function.

It sounds like you might have a pin-valve fitted to your cylinder. Was it previously used for paintball by any chance? From your pictures it looks like it's been through the wars a bit and may not be food grade. Can you take it back and exchange it for a food-grade cylinder with a G1/4 (W21.8) connector?

If you are turning the cylinder on by turning the gnurled tap handle anti clockwise and no gas comes out then that suggests there is a problem or variation with your cylinder.
My cylinder looks different when I peer into the end of it.

If it's showing the pressure of the cylinder, there's nothing wrong with the connection between the cylinder and the regulator.
It's a silly question, but did you try to set the pressure with that screw at all?🤔(turn it clockwise)

WHen you do this don't you get an extremely violent release of gas from the cylinder?
Any updates on progress?

WHen you do this don't you get an extremely violent release of gas from the cylinder?
Any updates on progress?
Yes, extremely violent when the valve is open.

I tried turning the screw inside the CO2 canister (which looks identical to the pic in #13) but in only creaks a bit which sounds like it has a spring behind it.

I'm going to assume the CO2 canister is faulty, but its a 2 hour trip to take it back, which I wanted to avoid.

Thanks for all the comments and assistance

Back