First timer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider bonez

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to this ! I have just done my first batch of cider and its nearly ready but is not as fizzy as I would like ! Any suggestions ? I added 60 grams of sugar to my pressure barrel as on the instructions. It tastes ok but I can also taste the apple flavering which I added on the secondary fermention (really strong ) help would be great so I can get my second batch spot cheers
Ps it magnums cider

How long's it been in the barrel? Takes a while for the residual yeast to eat the sugar, fart the CO2, and for that CO2 to be absorbed into the brew.
With bottles, 2weekswarm2weekscold is the norm, similar ballpark for a barrel I'd have thought

Cider bonez said:
High I kept it in the warm for 10 days and its been in the cold for about 8 days cheers

Should be long enough, though it'll probably get fizzier with a bit more time: how big's the barrel?
I do a level tsp per pint, which I /think/ works out to about 30gm /gallon

Hi and welcome :D

If it's a plastic barrel you won't get too much fizz in it, only an ale level of fizz!

Welcome :)

Unfortunately you won't get a great carbonation in a barrel, if it's a king keg style. Adding 60g to 40 pints won't be anywhere near enough either, but I understand around 80g is the maximum level of fizz you are going to get in a barrel so anything above would be a waste.

I generally add 1tsp per pint (5g) which works out 200g per batch. Gives a nice fizzy cider, akin to most sparkling bottled ciders. The easiest way to get this is to bottle though.

thanks guys yeah its a plastic barrel. i may look in to bottling it next time as i like my fizzy cider :cheers:

oldbloke said:
Cider bonez said:
High I kept it in the warm for 10 days and its been in the cold for about 8 days cheers

Should be long enough, though it'll probably get fizzier with a bit more time: how big's the barrel?
I do a level tsp per pint, which I /think/ works out to about 30gm /gallon

its a 5 gallon barrel and i put in about 60 g in it but people have said in the plastic barrels never going to get that much fizz ! i think i may bottle it next time :cheers:

Latest posts

Back