First wine kit newbie question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to apologise this is why the forum is here.
Its difficult to see how clear it is in the pics some sediment may stick to the side of the bucket but you should be able to see the bottom, if you shine a torch into the bucket from the outside near the bottom does it look cloudy when looking in from the top?

Thanks for the response chippy

I cant see the bottom from above or with a torch against the side.

From above it still looks like a weird marbled type effect?

Iv added a couple more pics to see if it makes it any clearer to you?

IMG_20190309_140147.jpg
IMG_20190309_140212.jpg
IMG_20190309_140229.jpg

This one shows it still has a bit to go, how did you degas it?

img_20190309_140229-jpg.18219

So is it just a case of waiting now then?

I transferred it from bucket to bucket 6 times like the instructions said with a bit of vigorous stirring through in there aswell.

To be honest i think it looked clearer than it does now before i added the finings!

Thanks

Sam

They do clear a bit as they finish fermenting and if left long enough will clear without finings but it takes a long time, when you poured the wine from one FV to the other you mixed all the sediment back in so it was more cloudy after, degassing by pouring or stirring doesn't really work so if you have a cordless drill make or buy a degassing wand its then a couple of minute job and your wine will clear much quicker.

How to make one here - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/degassing-wine-the-quick-and-easy-way.48971/

They do clear a bit as they finish fermenting and if left long enough will clear without finings but it takes a long time, when you poured the wine from one FV to the other its mixed it all back in, degassing by pouring or stirring doesn't really work so if you have a cordless drill make or buy a degassing wand its then a couple of minute job and your wine will clear much quicker.

How to make one here - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/degassing-wine-the-quick-and-easy-way.48971/

Thanks matey,

I'll definitely be making a wand for future brews.

For this one should i just let it sit it out until clear enough then?

Thanks again

For this one should i just let it sit it out until clear enough then?

That depends on how patient/impatient you are :laugh8:

The problem is because its not degassed fully the tiny CO2 bubbles hold the sediment and thats why its still looking cloudy it will clear but it could take a few days so you have a couple of options -

Make a wand and degas it thoroughly and add more finings (kwik clear or youngs clear it are my favourites) this will of course stir all the sediment back in but it'll clear faster (maybe a couple of days)

Put it down to experience bottle it now and stand the bottles upright in a cool place this will help them to clear, you will have to pour them carefully so the sediment stays at the bottom of the bottle you lose a little wine but you get the satisfaction of drinking your first wine a lot quicker than the methods above, I did this many times when i started out as my syphoning technique was not the best..

Also get it somewhere cold and it'll clear faster. I've put 5 litre fermenters in the freezer loads of times - just check in on them so they don't fully freeze.

Thanks all, im away for a couple of days so i think I'll just leave it alone for now. Then probably bottle it cloudy and put it down to experiance haha.

For future batches i will definitely make a degassing wand and make sure iv give it enough of a degassing before trying to clear.

And as for the red clip chippy my kit came with one of them but i will certainly look into buying a bottling wand for the future

Thanks again everybody

Sam

Keep us posted.

So i couldn't wait much longer to bottle my first batch so i gave in last night haha, it didn't seem like it was going to get any clearer so looks like I'll just have to have a cloudy first lot. Ah well not the end of the world, still tastes good to me athumb..

I did manage to get these on the go last night though to keep me on my toes

IMG-20190311-WA0002.jpeg

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
Chippy iv just noticed im getting a eggy (sulphur) smell from the rose type batch, is there anything that can be done to this or is it destined for the sink?

Thanks

Sam

I am not sure as its not something I have come across, I would let it do its thing we see threads on this occasionally and they usually turn out fine.

Latest posts

Back