Fizzy bottle advice...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadrikXIV

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm planning on making an Elderflower Champagne soon, well when the flowers are out.

Whilst in my local 99p shop, spotted these

Some non alcoholic carbonated drink, in what could be a good bottle.
The plastic cork tried to escape as soon as I took the metal cage off, anyone else seen them and thoughts on wheter viable, especially as a cheap 'Fizzed bottle'.

The cage and cork came off perectly as a bonus

Compare the weight of it with that of a champagne bottle. If it's noticeably lighter it won't cope with as much pressure. That doesn't mean you can't use them of course, just that you'll have to ferment to dry, and use less sugar when priming.

You could always use beer bottles, it may not quite have the look of a champagne bottle, but they're cheaper and do the trick

I get 500ml bottles from work and use them for my ciders. May not look great, but I know they won't explode and the worse case scenario is they split and make a mess.

I know it's not much help with regards to the bottles that you're asking about, but just sharing the way I bottle fizzy drinks.

I have some litre Pets at the moment, with lager in them, may use 2 of the glass bottles, and keep them stored in a box, just in case, then bottle the rest in plastic.

Will compare the weight of the now empty bottle to an empty wine bottle to see if much difference tonight.

Don't have a champagne bottle to weigh....

Quick google, according to a Daily Mail article, a Champagne bottle now weighs just 835 grams, shall compare this :D

I would try a hotel or somewhere which host's weddings for the champagne bottles, the last bar i worked at had boxes of them after such occasions.

I just use PET bottles for my sparkling wine, but a proper bottle would have the wow factor with friends.

It'll be fine. Wine bottles can hold a fair whack of pressure and they aren't made for it. Those bottles are made for pressure and they will have a safety factor built in. If the contents were really fizzy then you'll be absolutely fine.

Just take good care of them so that they don't get damaged :)

Cheers, think I will go with them, just keep it stored in a plastic box in the cellar just in case :D

Back