Flat as the proverbial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newbie here, back brewing after 10+.
Decided to start off with a kit
Brew dogs Brews Premium Bitter.
Everything clean. Started 30 Jan OG 1036
Fermented down to 1012 and left a couple of days in a second FV with airlock.
Sediment left behind in first vessel.
Bottled 10 Feb into dark glass bottles and capped.
Each bottle primed with 2 sugar tablets.
Bottling stick used.
All bottles then placed in cold/cool loft.
( Is this my mistake? Should I have kept them for a few days in a warm room to kick off secondary fermentation? )

I've tried 5 bottles at 1 per day since 21 Feb. All flat or minimal head bubbles. Head certainly doesn't stay.
Beer looks clear, no sediment. Taste: malty and hoppy. Not an off flavor at all.
The bottle gets drunk but I was expecting a head.
Bring bottles into a warm room to revive second fermentation?
Suggestions appreciated folks.
Pretty sure it's not dirty bottles or equipment.

You've already answered the question yes they need to be put somewhere like room temp for at least a week if not two for the yeast to eat the sugar you have put in the bottles to carbonate the beer

What are sugar tablets?
What's the temperature in your loft?

I've just had a look at the weather forecast for Aberdeen and it ranges between 0 and 8C. Ale yeasts don't work at that temperature. A lager yeast would be OK, but it would need more than a fortnight. 15 to 18 would be a good cellaring temperature. Sounds as if your beer was pretty clear when you bottled it, which is good, but it means you're going to need 6 or more weeks for it to come into condition, possibly longer. Bring it into the warm and don't look at it again for a month.

Good description of your process, above, and everything looks spot on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back