Flat beer from my corny.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stockport1

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm at a loss.
I've made an imperial stout from Muntons kit. I fined it then put it into my 19ltr corny. I've used same corny for the last 7 brews with no issues.
However, with this stout (1st time with stout)
I cannot get any gas into the beer. No head, it's flat.
I've tried my mixed gas. No joy. I've now connected my CO2... No joy.
I've increased the pressure of both gases to 34psi I know the gad is going into the corny due to the expansion of the lid. I've also tried the release valve and gas is definitely inside. As I've said I've had no issues until the stout.
Any ideas or suggestions please?

Is the keg kept cold? What pressure are you leaving the keg at? You would hear a leak.

Put the keg at 30 psi and then roll the keg for a minute. Do it when you have the keg super cold. That should get plenty of co2 on the beer.

Is the keg kept cold? What pressure are you leaving the keg at? You would hear a leak.

Put the keg at 30 psi and then roll the keg for a minute. Do it when you have the keg super cold. That should get plenty of co2 on the beer.
I have it in my garage. It's very cold. I've actually brought into the house. But I'm now thinking that's not a good idea. I didn't know about the shake 'thing' now that makes sense as the gas may just be sitting on the top. It has been in the keg under pressure for two days. I'll give it a good shake. 😊

I believe that 2 days isn't long enough unless you force carb it.
That would explain why it's not carbed yet. All a bit new to me, but there are some good videos to google.

Anyone with more experience of kegging might post some tips soon...

edit: I missed leon's earlier reply somehow. Do that :)

I have it in my garage. It's very cold. I've actually brought into the house. But I'm now thinking that's not a good idea. I didn't know about the shake 'thing' now that makes sense as the gas may just be sitting on the top. It has been in the keg under pressure for two days. I'll give it a good shake. 😊
Two days is not long enough as you will need at least one week.Back to the garage and if you do as @Leon103 suggests you will sees signs of carbonation.

Leon103
Thank you for that tip. I've just rolled it and tipped it for s good few minutes and now poured a pint that looks like a good pint of Guinness.
It makes sense now. Kind of 😁
Thanks again

In my opinion 2days isn't long unless your force carbonating. If you can't wait, then force carbonating will be the best option. Rolling it at around 30psi whilst connected to the gas on and off for 30 mins then leaving overnight will help. I prefer to leave 1-2 weeks at 9-15 psi in a fridge, then reduce the psi to ballance for serving.

I believe that 2 days isn't long enough unless you force carb it.
That would explain why it's not carbed yet. All a bit new to me, but there are some good videos to google.

Anyone with more experience of kegging might post some tips soon...
Quick carbonation is the resulting factor as inducing co2 manually as opposed to naturally is forced carbonation.

Leon103
Thank you for that tip. I've just rolled it and tipped it for s good few minutes and now poured a pint that looks like a good pint of Guinness.
Thanks again
I always force carb as my previous post. I then leave the keg to settle for an hour, reduce pressure down to about 10 psi and start drinking. Remember you want to keep the beer cold.

Leon103
Thanks again
Weirdly, an hour after rolling it, it has gone back to pouring flat.
I have a decent tap. With a small flow control fitted to it. This has worked with every other beer really well. But not the stout. I've ordered a stout spout to see if this makes a difference. I doubt it but we shall see. I'll leave it in the keg in my cold garage until the stout spout arrives. If still no joy I'll bottle it.
I'm going to leave it at 34psi for a few more days.
Incidentally, if I'd had my previous IPAs at 34psi I would have got a similar effect to warm champagne 😅

Weirdly, an hour after rolling it, it has gone back to pouring flat.
I have a decent tap. With a small flow control fitted to it. This has worked with every other beer really well. But not the stout. I've ordered a stout spout to see if this makes a difference. I doubt it but we shall see. I'll leave it in the keg in my cold garage until the stout spout arrives. If still no joy I'll bottle it.
I'm going to leave it at 34psi for a few more days.
Incidentally, if I'd had my previous IPAs at 34psi I would have got a similar effect to warm champagne 😅
What temperature is your garage

How full is the keg?

If there is not enough head room it will not carbonate well form force carbing?
Yes initially I thought the same. But after pulling a few pints to test it. There must be a good few inches.
I've seen a video today. He advised cranking the psi to 50. Then shake it for a good few minutes. He said you should hear the main regulator kicking in adding more gas to the fluid. And it did. So I'll leave s few hours now and it should be fully carbonated. Then I can deregulate to a decent pouring pressure.
It's very odd as it hasn't had this effect on my other brews.

It's worked.
Hi all,
I'm at a loss.
I've made an imperial stout from Muntons kit. I fined it then put it into my 19ltr corny. I've used same corny for the last 7 brews with no issues.
However, with this stout (1st time with stout)
I cannot get any gas into the beer. No head, it's flat.
I've tried my mixed gas. No joy. I've now connected my CO2... No joy.
I've increased the pressure of both gases to 34psi I know the gad is going into the corny due to the expansion of the lid. I've also tried the release valve and gas is definitely inside. As I've said I've had no issues until the stout.
Any ideas or suggestions please?

Attachments

• 20201215_150443.jpg
    20201215_150443.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back