Flat Beer in the Keg!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleinan

Reaction score
Please can anyone help.

I have made several brews now but it is only the 3rd time I have used a keg. All seemed to be fine...the pale ale went in the keg 3 weeks ago along with about 100g of sugar. A week at room temperature then 2 weeks in the garage.

Tried some at the weekend and it tastes OK but is completely flat. I have a pin valve on the cap so I added a CO2 bulb....still nothing.

I took off the cap off and added a new one (without a valve) from another barrel I have.

I am assuming the cap/valve is faulty so I am going to get a new one.

My questions are...

If I leave the beer for a couple more weeks will pressure build up naturally assuming the new cap is OK? or could something else cause the problem? Should a new cap with a valve on and then some CO2 do the trick...?

Thanks

Ian

Thanks BIGJIM,

It was part of my starter kit from the Homebrew Shop. I think they are £20 to £25. The lid was on pretty tight so perhaps that was the problem.

Did you use vaseline on the cap threads and seal?
First time I used a keg I didn't and lost gas quickly. If you have a good seal, you should get more gas created after a few days, but only if you have a good seal.

Thanks knthrak1982

I have put vaseline on the thread of the new cap so hopefully pressure will build. Will leave it a week and then see how things are going.

Still nothing. The beer tastes fine but very flat. Not sure what this problem is.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but If I bottled it with carb drops or more sugar would that work?

Thanks

Ian

Latest posts

Back