Flat brew in pressure keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benmeister

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum so sorry if this has been covered before.

My first brew was a european lager kit and everything went well during the fermenting process and I decided to opt for a pressure keg from Balihoo to store my brew.

I added 75g of priming sugar mixed in with 300ml of water and put in the garage to clear - for the 12 week it said in the instructions.

I noticed that the tap was leaking slightly so I taped it up checked it a few days later and that sorted it - happy days

Last week I sampled my brew the first pint drew off quite nicely but then stopped after 2 pints and it was flat as a pancake.

I pressurised the keg with a co2 bulb and noticed that it was leaking from where the pressure relief valve attaches with the cap. This is now sorted and the keg is holding pressure (I charged with another co2 bulb and its holding pressure)

However - Even though there is pressure in the system my brew is still flat :x

So my question is can this be saved???

I am tempted to bring the keg out of the garage into a warm place then chuck about 80g's of dextrose and hope that it kick starts the secondary fermentation to give the lager some carbonation.

Do you think that this will work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's my understanding that CO2 in the barrel is merely to draw off the beer. You can't use a pressure barrel to force carbonate. But priming sugar into bottles might be the way to go. Compared to a barrel, the CO2 has only got half an inch of headspace so it's going to go into your beer

If you've sorted the leak, I would bring into the warm and re-prime exactly as you said! That should see it ok.

Yep, add a bit more sugar to the barrel, carefully re-seal and leave for a week or so to carb up. The Coopers European then benefits from a good three months' conditioning somewhere cold to get to its best. And thehorse is right: save the CO2 bulbs to keep the pressure topped up as the barrel empties - they won't actually add fizz to the beer.

This seems to be a recurring problem. I've never used any sort of barrel or keg system (though I am tempted by the party star deluxe and mini keg system) mainly for the reason that I like really fizzy beer. Even when I'm not making a lager, I still want it fizzy like a lager so for that reason I think bottles are the best option.

Doesn't really answer the original question, other than to maybe point Ben towards trying bottles if he is looking for something that is fizzy like a lager.

wheazy_joe has hit the nail on the head, if you want fizzy beer bottle it or get a Corny keg and force carb.

I put some of my real ales in kegs as I like them similar to real ales in pubs served from the barrel or handpump, relatively flat. Anything I want fizzy like lagers and stouts gets bottled

Thanks for the advice guys it's given me a confidence boost as I really want to start enjoying my brew.

I am going to bottle my batch of cider that I will be starting in the FV next week and I think I will just use the pressure keg for bitter beers rather than lagers.

I wish that I had not gone down the pressure keg route but you live and learn.

When I've added a couple more FV's to my collection I will take the plunge and buy a corny keg.

Yep, add a bit more sugar to the barrel, carefully re-seal and leave for a week or so to carb up. The Coopers European then benefits from a good three months' conditioning somewhere cold to get to its best. And thehorse is right: save the CO2 bulbs to keep the pressure topped up as the barrel empties - they won't actually add fizz to the beer.

Thanks for the advice speccy, will I need to leave the lager to condition for another 12 weeks even though it was approx 3 months after the initial priming and kegging?

Sorry for the slow reply, Bennmeister. I missed the bit earlier where you said it had already been in the barrel for 12 weeks. No, I wouldn't leave it for another 12 weeks. Once it's fizzy and clear I'd start laying into it. Beer won't keep in plastic barrels indefinitely - another good reason for bottling it - and the suspense would probably kill you anyway.

It's my understanding that CO2 in the barrel is merely to draw off the beer. You can't use a pressure barrel to force carbonate. But priming sugar into bottles might be the way to go. Compared to a barrel, the CO2 has only got half an inch of headspace so it's going to go into your beer

Adding CO2 to a pressure barrel won't force carbonate it, but allowing the beer to produce CO2 with it sealed will carbonate it for sure. I secondary fermented recently in a sealed KK and it carbonated it a treat. The trick then is to release the co2 slowly enough without the beer exploding if you need to break the seal...

So far so good on the seal.

It took a few attempts and some colourful words but it's been re-priming since Friday and not leaked out any beer (touchwood) so hopefully it is holding pressure.

I'm not after loads of carbonation just a little tingle.

Do you think that 7 days will be long enough for secondary fermentation as its only been in a room That's averaged about 18degreesk?

So far so good on the seal.

It took a few attempts and some colourful words but it's been re-priming since Friday and not leaked out any beer (touchwood) so hopefully it is holding pressure.

I'm not after loads of carbonation just a little tingle.

Do you think that 7 days will be long enough for secondary fermentation as its only been in a room That's averaged about 18degreesk?

If I have to reprime a barrel I find I can start drinking it after just a few days.

So, went to try it yesterday and its still flat!!!!

After the initial spurt of profanity I began to think about what could have caused this as I am pretty sure that there is not leaks from the barrel.

Then, I can remember seeing the temp strip on the keg never going any higher that 18 degrees. do you think that I didnt get it warm enough to secondary ferment?

Latest posts

Back