Flavouring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porter

Reaction score
I'm taking a shot in the dark but here goes.
I've seen those little bottles/sachets of flavour essence in my lhbs and i'm not gonna mention the D-word;
I want to add them to a bought spirit like vodka or white rum just for the fun of it and to see what the end flavour will be.
So my question is,i've seen a dark spiced rum one,should i add it to vodka or white rum?
I just intend to by a value bottle of whichever spirit but wondered if adding it to white rum might be too much?

Those essences are intended for adding to neutral spirits, i.e. vodka, but if you are thinking of making a spiced rum I would think it would be logical to use a white rum base.

Moley said:
Those essences are intended for adding to neutral spirits, i.e. vodka, but if you are thinking of making a spiced rum I would think it would be logical to use a white rum base.
Cheers for that,it's more or less how i was thinking. :thumb:

Yup, Add it to a clean vodka. If you go for a cheaper one (FRom Aldi or Lidl), it may be worth running the vodka through an activated carbon filter first, or using liquid carbon to get rid of any residual taste or smell before flavouring.

If you wanna try some REALLY fun stuff, Try using Angel Delight powder.. Makes the most delicious alcoholic Milkshake -I do this with my alcotec48 brews :)

Yup, Add it to a clean vodka. If you go for a cheaper one (FRom Aldi or Lidl), it may be worth running the vodka through an activated carbon filter first, or using liquid carbon to get rid of any residual taste or smell before flavouring.

If you wanna try some REALLY fun stuff, Try using Angel Delight powder.. Makes the most delicious alcoholic Milkshake -I do this with my alcotec48 brews :)
Angel delight? That just sounds so very wrong but yet i wouldn't mind trying it lol:rofl:

that sounds awsome, im just clearing my first batch of alcotec 48, im gonna give this a go, btw is it really ness to carbon filter the wash after clearing first?

cheers
lee

Whenever you use any variety of turbo yeast carbon treatment is always a must.

Try adding the Lowicz malina (raspberry syrup) in the world foods section in Tesco it is fantastic, I have been brewing it but it would probably work better in the alcotec spirit base.

Back