Flip Top Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not particularly cheap but Sainsbury are selling Grolsch in single flip lock bottles. Think they were £1.65 each.

Aldi sell a Belgian Triple beer in a 750ml flip lock bottle for £2.95. it's also a lot nicer than Grolsch!

I've actually got a few flip top bottles from Brew2Bottle which I might consider selling, depending on location they need to go to, I have roughly 120 bottles, would need to count up, some are used but great condition, some haven't been opened, but I'm canning now so have no need for them, if you're interested, let me know.

The Range stock these for 13 quid a dozen, whether they're in stock is another matter...... last lot I bought was 18 Grolsch from Sainsburys at £1.65 each, and to be honest i'd rather have bought The Range bottles empty and not subjected myself to drinking the beer, getting the extra 50ml in the brown flip tops would've been even better value too, but i needed bottles at the time, and the labels fall off like butter melting on a jacket spud.... that being said, Grolsch bottles are nice and thick so are tried, tested and reliable, but never having used The Range bottles I have no experience with them.
Sometimes paying that bit more may be worth it

Last edited:
Last time I bought a load of flip top bottles, i bought a box of 24 Hacker-Pschorr Munich Dunkel from web-beer.com. 1.60 Euro per bottle and 20 Euro delivery came to 55 Euros for 24. that's less than £2/bottle and very nice beer. they also do Hacker-Pschorr hefe weisse, festbier, kellerbier, oktoberfest & helles in flip-tops. All about the same price and you can mix and match. minimum order is 24 bottles.

just checked the web-bier website and they no longer ship to the uk!! thankyou brexit!

Last time I bought a load of flip top bottles, i bought a box of 24 Hacker-Pschorr Munich Dunkel from web-beer.com. 1.60 Euro per bottle and 20 Euro delivery came to 55 Euros for 24. that's less than £2/bottle and very nice beer. they also do Hacker-Pschorr hefe weisse, festbier, kellerbier, oktoberfest & helles in flip-tops. All about the same price and you can mix and match. minimum order is 24 bottles.
That's how I got my stock. Sent them in crates too.

I've been using the Sainsbury Grolsch bottles at £1.65 each. I don’t mind the beer. It’s just straightforward, unremarkable lager. I probably lived too long in Germany but pilsner-style beer is drinkable to me. Often boring, yes, but drinkable. Worst thing about Grolsch is the annoying 45cl size. I chuck 2 or 3 in the trolley whenever we do a big shop at Sainsbury and over a period this has given me a pretty good stock of swing tops.

I've been using the Sainsbury Grolsch bottles at £1.65 each. I don’t mind the beer. It’s just straightforward, unremarkable lager. I probably lived too long in Germany but pilsner-style beer is drinkable to me. Often boring, yes, but drinkable. Worst thing about Grolsch is the annoying 45cl size. I chuck 2 or 3 in the trolley whenever we do a big shop at Sainsbury and over a period this has given me a pretty good stock of swing tops.

Oddly, I like them being slightly smaller. Allows a bit of space for when the head is in the "do you want a flake with that?" category
20190504_221242.jpg

I bought a load of Flensburger Pilsner a while back it’s about £2.20 a bottle, not an exceptional beer but perfectly passable larger and the bottles are decent. Swing tops tend to be quite expensive, if you are lucky you might get them, for £1 a bottle new, so I bought Flensburger it as my summer ‘gardening beer’.

I bought a load of Flensburger Pilsner a while back it’s about £2.20 a bottle, not an exceptional beer but perfectly passable larger and the bottles are decent. Swing tops tend to be quite expensive, if you are lucky you might get them, for £1 a bottle new, so I bought Flensburger it as my summer ‘gardening beer’.
Amazing, where did they sell that one?
Around the mid-90s I was returning from Germany by car and picked up a crate of 20 bottles on the way back (in Hamburg?), can't remember the price. But I still got most of the bottles which I have been re-filling ever since.
Just remembered in 2019 we were waiting in the airport lounge in Hamburg, and they had Flensburger 330ml fliptops, free of course! Managed to put 5 into my backpack (easyJet then were quite tolerant...).

Last edited:
Amazing, where did they sell that one?
Around the mid-90s I was returning from Germany by car and picked up a crate of 20 bottles on the way back (in Hamburg?), can't remember the price. But I still got most of the bottles which I have been re-filling ever since.
Just remembered in 2019 we were waiting in the airport lounge in Hamburg, and they had Flensburger 330ml fliptops, free of course! Managed to put 5 into my backpack (easyJet then were quite tolerant...).
I bought my batch from Beersniffers

https://www.beersniffers.co.uk/beers/beers-by-brewery/flensburger/
Beers of Europe also sell it, as mentioned you are paying a fair premium for it, and I wouldn’t pay that much for a Pilsner normally but for me it was worth it to get the 330ml swing tops.

When I first started home brewing in 2016/2017, I purchased my swing top bottles from The Range (they used to be £10 for 12). Only issue I had with them was 1 box was missing a stopper so I had to hunt for some spares online.

I haven’t had any issues with the seals yet either.

I have used the flip tops from places like Aldi and fully enjoyed the collecting and emptying of these over the last 10 / 15 years along with the first ones I used which were the original Grolsch bottles which speeds up bottling
However these need a little more attention when cleaning as these are embossed bottles and beer & yeast / sediment will stick in the inside so we need be aware of the possibility of infection.

Back