Flow Controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belter said:
Ok my replacement LCD shield finally turned up and works perfectly. Thing is... when I start up my arduino the current volume just counts up continuously until it says "Target volume hit" This is with or without the sensor connected. Any ideas?

Did u edit the code to point the flowsensorpin constant to the pin number u used?
Code:
#define FLOWSENSORPIN 24
in my case

if not do the same for the solanoid pi too ;)

if still no joy try this simple to wire example and paste in the code
http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/G1/2_Water_Flow_sensor

or
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,8548.0.html

wouldnt normally expect lightening to strike twice with dodgy h/w but its the first thing to rule out..

Awesome thanks. That sorted it. I had it plugged into Pin 0.

If I could just figure out why Arduino deleted my serial port address I'd be able to re-upload the current code.

edit: sorted that also.

The code says:

#define SOLENOIDPIN 13 //Solenoid relay on Pin 1

Is this due to my inexperience or should that read:

#define SOLENOIDPIN 1 //Solenoid relay on Pin 1

or:
#define SOLENOIDPIN 13 //Solenoid relay on Pin 13

From what I can make out from the images posted it looks like you have plugged it into Pin 1

I have been looking at the valve issue again and the limitations of the solenoid value. What about using a servo actuator connected to a regular ball valve? The closure speed would be fairly quick, something along the lines of 1 second. The only problem would be attaching the servo. They have a fairly high torque so should be able to move the valve handle through 90 degrees. Certainly cheaper than dedicated motorised valves.

torque! u would need a very powerful servo to move any of my 1/2" ball valves or a very long push to gear down with levers..

cld train monkeys tho ;) just need an arduino controlled auto banana dispensor ;) to trigger.

I take it the budget moterised ball valve is less than ideal :( ?

Belter said:
The code says:

#define SOLENOIDPIN 13 //Solenoid relay on Pin 1

Is this due to my inexperience or should that read:

#define SOLENOIDPIN 1 //Solenoid relay on Pin 1

or:
#define SOLENOIDPIN 13 //Solenoid relay on Pin 13

From what I can make out from the images posted it looks like you have plugged it into Pin 1

Last one is correct, I ended up moving it from PIN1 as that is a different type of pin and put it into PIN13. Just forgot to update the comment, I'll do that now! Thanks for the spot.

(Now changed)

:) Cheers

Having more of a play I couldn't work out how to get the relays to work. I see instead of using them as normally open/normally closed SPDT devices you've got it so it turns on with the left push button and off with the right. So the NC outputs switch when you press the button. A perfectly good option but threw me for a minute as I was messing with my continuity meter for ages going "How the f*&k!". I was expecting the NC outputs to have continuity at all times. Not really sure why they don't?????

When you press the down button, if you go below 0 then it says "Valve Closed Target Hit" and you have to reset to go back and try again.
Would be ideal if that part of the code was separate so it didn't go below 0 and read the above.

Awesome bit of kit so far. Well done. I'm enjoying playing with it.

Belter said:
:) Cheers

When you press the down button, if you go below 0 then it says "Valve Closed Target Hit" and you have to reset to go back and try again.
Would be ideal if that part of the code was separate so it didn't go below 0 and read the above.

Awesome bit of kit so far. Well done. I'm enjoying playing with it.

Glad you are enjoying it :)

Surprised it has an issue if you attempt to go below 0 as I thought I put in some code to handle that and set the value to 0. Also disappointed I didn't test and find that given my day job involves testing software :) I will have a play and fix it.

I've still not tried isolating my relay power from the Arduino to see if it resolves my reset issue when the solenoid closes

As it's payday tomorrow I'll start thinking about casing this up this month and may branch the software to a new version to support a 20x4 display maybe start looking at expanding what it does (pump control?)

Fil said:
torque! u would need a very powerful servo to move any of my 1/2" ball valves or a very long push to gear down with levers..

cld train monkeys tho ;) just need an arduino controlled auto banana dispensor ;) to trigger.

I take it the budget moterised ball valve is less than ideal :( ?
The valve hasn't arrived yet, so don't know how it will work out. Should be with me in a week or so. I'll let you know. But the cheap ones are not fast. The model servos xould close the valve in about 1-2 seconds.

If you think the model servos have the power and reach to do the job :) its got to be worth a test, u could just hold the servo to start with. might end up a messy arrangement with pull rods and pivot points mechanically tho

This is fun.

I modified the code to say this:

lcd.print("TARGET HIT" ),target_volume;

Now when it closes the solenoid it displays what it was set to so I know what i put in the HLT. A bit pointless but for testing I kept seeing Target Hit and was curious as to what I'd set it to and now I know.

I think the most part was that I was surprised that it worked when I pressed compile :)

Next I want to add a message so it says "Solenoid Opened" when I press the left button and solenoid closed when I press the right button. Or "Go" and "Stop" or something similar. I tried last night but it printed the message partly over the top of the other wording.

Belter said:
This is fun.

I modified the code to say this:

lcd.print("TARGET HIT" ),target_volume;

Now when it closes the solenoid it displays what it was set to so I know what i put in the HLT. A bit pointless but for testing I kept seeing Target Hit and was curious as to what I'd set it to and now I know.

I think the most part was that I was surprised that it worked when I pressed compile :)

Next I want to add a message so it says "Solenoid Opened" when I press the left button and solenoid closed when I press the right button. Or "Go" and "Stop" or something similar. I tried last night but it printed the message partly over the top of the other wording.

wont be long before ur looking for an sd card and mp3 decoder to store and play the sound files of 'Sorry Dave i Cant Do That!' a la Hal of 2001. :) and other messages you want to hear rather than read..

A couple of things. I am still waiting for my lcd to arrive but I've ordered a 4 line version without buttons. Also the motorised valve needs a DPDT relay to open and close. So the buttons will have to be separate from the lcd to control. But the relay is different to the one you are using to control the valve. What changes in the code will be needed to accomplish this? I've yet to put it together as the parts are missing, so just thinking how it is going to work.

I'm also thinking of changing the flow sensor to a pressure sensor (MPX5010DP Freescale Pressure Sensor). Farnell stock them. I got thee idea from BrewTroller who use these to measure volume. That way the volume in the HLT can be measured and the boil volume. Not sure how to hook it all up but it's going to be fun trying. :lol:

bobsbeer said:
So the buttons will have to be separate from the lcd to control. But the relay is different to the one you are using to control the valve. What changes in the code will be needed to accomplish this? I've yet to put it together as the parts are missing, so just thinking how it is going to work.

afaik no changes to the code just the wireing :) the switching pin will be high or low, and depending on that the dpdt relay will flip in one direction or the other. its a 2 state device just switching 2 poles not just the one, so if the code uses hi as open, then thats how u wire up the realy :) from what i read of the ebay add the valve will turn itself off when opened or closed fully regardless of the power fed it?

u may need some diodes too? google ' dc motor direction switching + breadboard example' :) for a schematic to follow

for the buttons you will need to wire them bridging ground to a live pin each with a 10k resistor (check that..) inline, check out the simple button example sketches and the bounce and debounce sketches for the complete button wireing and handeling picture. then assign that pin in the code constant declarations ie
Code:
#define MyRight_Button_pin 99; // right button pin assignment

bobsbeer said:
I'm also thinking of changing the flow sensor to a pressure sensor (MPX5010DP Freescale Pressure Sensor). Farnell stock them. I got thee idea from BrewTroller who use these to measure volume. That way the volume in the HLT can be measured and the boil volume. Not sure how to hook it all up but it's going to be fun trying. :lol:

this we all want to see im sure ;) got a link ?

Here's the link to the BrewTroller description of the principal. HERE The sensors ore not the cheapest, LINK at Farnell, but I couldn't find significantly cheaper on ebay. About £13.56 with vat.
volume.gif

bobsbeer said:
Here's the link to the BrewTroller description of the principal. HERE The sensors ore not the cheapest, LINK at Farnell, but I couldn't find significantly cheaper on ebay. About £13.56 with vat.
volume.gif

Interesting idea might have to have a play with one of those at some point in the future. If I had £1500 going spare I'd be thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/car ... -appliance

Be nice to have someone else do all the work of putting it together :)

That looks really cool. The £1500 is not bad when you compare it to Braumeister and the likes, but still a little out of my reach. Although by the time I'm done with all the modding I won't be far off. :lol:

For the price it's not bad at all, unfortunately £1500 will pay for one of our windows to be refurbished so I have no chance of getting a Brewbot first ;)

I'm very interested in the design of their fermenters the stackability looks very useful, if they sell those separately I might have to pick one up to have a look at.

looks like the units you get for the commercial kitchens to keep food warm, wouldn't be expensive or hard to get one of those knocked up and then just a case of using the arduino to control the rest.44

Or just stick to my 3 vessel system, lol

Latest posts

Back