Footage of officer 'kneeling on neck' investigated

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It would appear lessons haven't been learned.

1595001356123.png

Footage which appears to show an officer kneeling on a man's neck is being investigated by the police watchdog.

In the footage, shared with the BBC, one of the officers appears to be using his knee to control the suspect and has his hand on his head.

The man on the ground, who is in handcuffs, repeatedly shouts: "Get off my neck."

He is eventually released from the ground and continues to talk to officers after they sit him up.

Several police cars arrive at the scene after the arresting officers are confronted by onlookers.

An eye witness told the BBC: "I was worried he was going to get executed. That's just how George Floyd got killed.

"If not for the crowds filming the police they could have suffocated him or broken his neck.

"He was on the floor and in handcuffs, what's the reason for a kneeling on his neck?"

In a statement, the Met Police said: "We are aware of a video showing part of this wider incident where two officers have detained the man on the ground and appreciate this looks very concerning.

"Our officers carry out their duty on a daily basis across London in often difficult circumstances. Where force is used, officers must be able to justify this as lawful, proportionate and necessary.

"On this occasion we have decided to refer this incident to the Independent Office for Police Conduct."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said: "I'm deeply concerned about this distressing incident and we have raised this with senior officers at the Met Police as a matter of urgency.

"I welcome the fact the incident has been reviewed quickly by the Met and it's right that they have referred it to the IOPC."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53443641

Looking at that image, it would appear that the officer's knee is on the side of his head, not on the neck. I do not condone such tactics but at the same time we are not aware of the full facts. I personally wouldn't want to make a judgement call based on one image.
Just my own opinion.

You are right its hard to see in the picture exactly were the knee is but as it says "the man on the ground, who is in handcuffs, repeatedly shouts: "Get off my neck."

This is a forum for home brew, not politics.

Can i point you to the forum description below which you clicked on to post this!

The Snug
This is the place for all non brewing chat.

As Terry has pointed out you can choose not to see anything from the Snug if you so wish if you would like to be excluded let me know.

Last edited:
Not trying to make a massive statement here, but I worked as a nightclub doorman for 15 years maybe even more, never had to restrain anybody like that in all my working nights.
I know a few police officers through my current role and most aren't big or muscular, they are just normal people, not sure what training they are given for such incidents when they feel out powered. But I do agree fully, its abit excessive. thought they were trained to cuff behind the body.

The Snug is a great idea, some people can't openly discuss such topics in their workplace, this way we can share our thoughts without risking upsetting our fellow colleagues, who may not have the stomach for these topics.
keep up the good work!!

The footage is certainly concerning, although to make a full judgement would require seeing the whole incident to see the context.

Police have to deal with incidents where people get violent, are under the influence, try their hardest to resist arrest etc etc.
This incident has been referred to the IOPC, which is the right thing to do.

What was horrific about the George Floyd incident was that it was recorded in full and at no time was he violent or struggling.

Latest from BBC news -

Met Police must apologise for 'knee-on-neck' arrest says lawyer

The Met Police must formally apologise to a man who was detained while a police officer appeared to kneel on his neck, his lawyer has said.

Marcus Coutain, 48, was filmed telling officers "get off my neck" as he was arrested in north London on Thursday.

His lawyer Tim Rustem said the events "mirrored almost identically what happened to George Floyd", who died after being restrained in the US.

One Met officer has been suspended and another placed on restricted duties.

The Met "quickly assessed the incident" and referred it to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which is conducting an investigation.

The force said it would not be issuing any further statements.

On Saturday, Mr Coutain pleaded not guilty at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court to possessing a knife in public.

Police said officers were called to reports of a fight in Isledon Road on Thursday.

Footage posted on social media that evening shows two officers holding a handcuffed black man on the pavement.

In court, Mr Rustem said the police should apologise.

'Deeply disturbing'

Speaking outside court, Mr Rustem said the Crown Prosecution Service should review the case, drop the charges and offer a "formal apology" to Mr Coutain.

Mr Rustem said his client was legally carrying a blade for the purposes of repairing his bicycle.

"Essentially Mr Coutain was stopped and searched for matters for which he has not been charged," he said.

"It is the use of what I would regard as excessive force, a knee being placed on his neck ... references which mirror exactly what happened to George Floyd in America.

"A man saying 'I can't breathe' and 'get your knee off my neck', while he was already handcuffed and while he was restrained by two police officers."

He said his client was lucky to have only "minimal" injuries to his wrists and neck, adding: "Fortunately it didn't lead to the tragic consequences that we saw in America."

Deputy Commissioner Sir Steve House described footage of the arrest in Islington as "deeply disturbing" and said some of the techniques, which were "not taught in police training", caused him "great concern".

In a statement, the Met Police said it had quickly assessed the incident, including the body worn video footage from the officers and their statements and justification for their use of force, and referred it to the IOPC.

In Islington, about 30 people gathered outside the police station in protest against how Mr Coutain was arrested.

The case has been sent to Snaresbrook Crown Court on 17 August.

Not trying to make a massive statement here, but I worked as a nightclub doorman for 15 years maybe even more, never had to restrain anybody like that in all my working nights.
I know a few police officers through my current role and most aren't big or muscular, they are just normal people, not sure what training they are given for such incidents when they feel out powered. But I do agree fully, its abit excessive. thought they were trained to cuff behind the body.
I worked in crowd control & football security when I was a young man. (In the 80's) When you had a violent thug you'd use any advantage you had to keep them on the ground until the cops arrived. In fact the cops would rather we dealt with the initial incident as they had their hands tied behind there backs as to what force they could use.
If you didn't nip it in the bud the usual thugs would have a chance to join in making the situation worse. They wouldn't think twice about hurting us if we were on the ground.
If they hurt a copper during an arrest they got payback in the holding cells beneath the stadium. The usual thugs knew this would happen which kept them pretty much in control most of the time once the cops arrived. It was a game they played every home game & we all knew the culprits & spent most of the match watching the same faces every week.
I feel sorry for the cops because they're damned if you do or damned if you don't & they deal with strangers. Only a cop knows the fear of the unknown when you have to tackle these idiots day in day out, especially if the thug gets the upper hand they won't worry about using measured force against the police.

I worked in crowd control & football security when I was a young man. (In the 80's) When you had a violent thug you'd use any advantage you had to keep them on the ground until the cops arrived. In fact the cops would rather we dealt with the initial incident as they had their hands tied behind there backs as to what force they could use.
If you didn't nip it in the bud the usual thugs would have a chance to join in making the situation worse. They wouldn't think twice about hurting us if we were on the ground.
If they hurt a copper during an arrest they got payback in the holding cells beneath the stadium. The usual thugs knew this would happen which kept them pretty much in control most of the time once the cops arrived. It was a game they played every home game & we all knew the culprits & spent most of the match watching the same faces every week.
I feel sorry for the cops because they're damned if you do or damned if you don't & they deal with strangers. Only a cop knows the fear of the unknown when you have to tackle these idiots day in day out, especially if the thug gets the upper hand they won't worry about using measured force against the police.

I completely understand what you're saying, but if kneeling on a head or neck risks death, surely it needs to not happen.

That aside, if we start using the reasoning that "Well the criminals would do it, so the police should be able to do it too", we're all in the ****.

Latest posts

Back