Foreign Secretary James Cleverly tells LGBT fans to be respectful -

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you knowingly travel to a place that you know is intolerant to who you are and do not take certain mitigating measures to reduce the risk to yourself isn't that just a lack of personal responsibility? Like an old friend of mine who wanted to wear his football colours when in a dodgy pub in the heart of the opponent's city. He was adamant about it but he wouldn't be the one picking a broken beer glass out of his face, he'd have run a mile leaving others to face the music.

Another false equivalence. Telling someone not to wear football colours is quite different from telling them to not be gay. Of course it might be in their best interest, but it's a ridiculous thing to say.

Although you cannot ask someone to be something they're not a warning has been issued to reinforce what consequences could be not respecting their laws. They do not treat law breakers with leniency for any "crimes". Qatar are not going to relax their laws for anyone and anyone going there should be mindful.

Out of curiosity I've had a look at Qatar criminal offences...ANYONE who feels they can go there and do what they like is in for a nasty shock. For the purpose of this thread...drinking and sexual behaviour between whoever. Doesn't have to be gay in public will get you a flogging...
Residual traces (not kgs of Columbian marching powder) of illegal narcotics..7 years in prison.
An attitude of ",I can do what I like" is dangerous there and won't wash.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should be Boycotting this one. It was clearly a corrupt decision and the human rights infringements have been piling up against Qatar since the announcement.

What is it with this government and messing up simple messages. The Foreign office should have just highlighted this stuff in a travel advisory like they do everything else without calling out any one group of people.

I give up. There is absolutely no point in having a discussion with someone who doesn't understand the concept of one.
I understand the concept perfectly, what i don't understand is the concept of understanding other people might have a different opinion than yours, you stated the other day i need help can you state in specific detail what kind of help i need

Out of curiosity I've had a look at Qatar criminal offences...ANYONE who feels they can go there and do what they like is in for a nasty shock. For the purpose of this thread...drinking and sexual behaviour between whoever..doesn't gave to be gay in public will get you a flogging...
Residual traces (not kgs of columbian marching powder) of illegal narcotics..7 years in prison.

I think anyone going there with an "I can do what I want" is in for a shock. Whilst I don't agree with draconaian laws on how people act; it's one thing to be punished for behaviour, it's another thing entirely to be punished for a personal chacteristic.

I understand the concept perfectly, what i don't understand is the concept of understanding other people might have a different opinion than yours, you stated the other day i need help can you state in specific detail what kind of help i need.

You've shown that you really don't. You seemed utterly baffled by my use of the word argument. You also seemed baffled by the dictionary definition of the word argument. You had trouble with the concept of the word "war" a few weeks ago. I'd rather not go on personal attacks, so with the greatest of respect I can muster I'll leave it there.

For the purpose of this thread...drinking and sexual behaviour between whoever. Doesn't have to be gay in public will get you a flogging...
Where do they draw the line on sexual behaviour Clint?

There you go again, you would rather not go on personnel attacks, you already have telling someone on a public forum they need help is personnel weather you say so or not, all i did was post a comment and you chose to twist it into something it wasn't, on the 24th of Feb Russia invaded Ukraine on the pretext of a special operation the whole world knows different they started a war and Ukraine is defending it's self so what do i and the rest of the world not know about the meaning of the word war please do tell us

What's the real issue here? Qatar, in common with other muslim countries, outlaws homosexual relationships. Bravo. Qatar, in common with other muslim countries also outlaws extramarital relationships between men and women. Why are we not banging on about this as well? I can't go and watch the football and cohabit with either my girlfriend or my boyfriend. So why isn't Cleverly telling unmarried couples to be "discreet"? Why is nobody else talking abut this? Is there another agenda here?

Out of curiosity I've had a look at Qatar criminal offences...ANYONE who feels they can go there and do what they like is in for a nasty shock. For the purpose of this thread...drinking and sexual behaviour between whoever. Doesn't have to be gay in public will get you a flogging...
Residual traces (not kgs of Columbian marching powder) of illegal narcotics..7 years in prison.
As far as I've been able to find out, "inappropriate" relationships can get you a term in prison, while flogging or worse is reserved for muslim "offenders".

Its what they do to you in prison, in your comfy cell with your Nintendo might change your mind

It isn't just a political decision that makes up the laws of Qatar, Iran and the UAE it is driven by religion. So trying to change religious beliefs in favour of ones own is equally as wrong. For us, none Muslims while not agreeing how they interpret the Quran it is the religion which they follow, not a political belief the only way it will change is through evolution and education. Protests and boycotts will achieve nothing.

Digressing slightly, when Scotland passes this new gender recognition law for people to be able to legally change their sex, after 3 three months of reflection.

Will it mean that if one person of a same sex couple changes their gender, that they become heterosexual couple?

It isn't just a political decision that makes up the laws of Qatar, Iran and the UAE it is driven by religion. So trying to change religious beliefs in favour of ones own is equally as wrong. For us, none Muslims while not agreeing how they interpret the Quran it is the religion which they follow, not a political belief the only way it will change is through evolution and education. Protests and boycotts will achieve nothing.

Agreed on your first point. Disagree on your last point. Countries like Qatar and Saudi are desperate for more engagement with The West. We are simply making it far too easy for them.

Latest posts

Back