Foreign Secretary James Cleverly tells LGBT fans to be respectful -

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

LGBT football fans who attend the World Cup in Qatar should show "a little bit of flex and compromise", Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said.

Speaking to LBC on Wednesday, he told fans travelling from England and Wales to be "respectful of the host nation", where same-sex activity is illegal.

Within hours, the prime minister's official spokesman said LGBT fans should not be expected to "compromise who they are" if they visit Qatar for the World Cup.

Labour called Mr Cleverly's remarks "shockingly tone-deaf".

In a separate interview with Sky News, the foreign secretary reiterated his message when asked how the government was pushing for LGBT equality in Qatar.

He said: "These are Muslim countries, they have very different cultural starting point for us. I think it's important when you're a visitor to a country that you respect the culture of your host nation."

Full article - LGBT football fans told to be respectful at Qatar World Cup

I really do not get why they allowed the games to take place there it is going to end badly, why should they be "respectful of the host nation" the host nation should be respectful of the fans not the other way round.

Regardless of who is what or does what the country has made their decisions law (rightly or wrongly)so foremost given the hardline attitude to any law breakers in said country it's best you toe the line or get banged up. I suspect having a "few beers" in the wrong place would get you into trouble just as having some "smoking paraphernalia " on your person in say Thailand would get you and open ended stretch in the Bangkok Hilton or stumping up lots of "tea money"..
Likewise pinching a load of gear from shops in the UK you get a telling off..in Saudi you get a hand off...or your head if you keep at it I suspect.

Regardless of who is what or does what the country has made their decisions law (rightly or wrongly) so foremost given the hardline attitude to any law breakers in said country it's best you toe the line or get banged up.

I agree Clint you should observe other countries laws if you don't want to get into trouble but what the hell were they thinking letting them host it i have a feeling its going to end badly.

Captppppure.JPG

Peter Tatchell stopped in Qatar while staging LGBT+ rights protest

Incident outside National Museum in Doha comes less than a month before start of men’s football World Cup

The human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has been stopped by police in Qatar while staging a protest against the Gulf state’s criminalisation of LGBTQ+ people.

Tatchell’s protest outside the National Museum of Qatar in the capital, Doha, comes less than a month before the start of the Fifa World Cup, which is expected to attract 1.2 million visitors from around the world.

Reuters reported that two uniformed police officers and three plainclothes officials arrived at the scene, taking possession of his placard and photographing Tatchell’s passport and other papers, and those of a man accompanying him. Reuters said police left after shaking hands with Tatchell, who remained on the sidewalk.

Tatchell said he and a colleague, Simon Harris, who filmed the protest, were arrested and detained at the scene but the Qatari government has denied this.

The veteran campaigner was holding a placard that read: “Qatar arrests, jails & subjects LGBTs to ‘conversion’ #QatarAntiGay.”

The Peter Tatchell Foundation said it was the first LGBT+ protest in Qatar or any Gulf state.

The incident adds to mounting pressure on Qatar over its treatment of the LGBTQ+ community and migrant workers, as well as other human rights concerns. Qatari law criminalises both male and female homosexuality, with sentences of one to three years for adults convicted of consensual gay or lesbian sex.

Speaking via Zoom from Doha international airport, Tatchell said he was arrested and detained on the roadside by Qatari authorities for 49 minutes after protesting outside the museum for 35 minutes.

He said: “The first carload of security officials arrived in an unmarked Land Rover and started taking photographs. Then about five minutes later a police car arrived. The police came over and took away the placard and began to interrogate me.

“They then notice that my colleague was taking photographs and videos, [and] confiscated his phone, and deleted photographs and videos. They took our passports and boarding passes. We were not allowed to leave or to to continue the protest.

“The police were not abusive or threatening. But they did make it clear that we should go to the airport and leave the country.”

Qatar’s government communications office denied that Tatchell had been arrested. It said in a statement: “Rumours on social media that a representative from the Peter Tatchell Foundation has been arrested in Qatar are completely false and without merit. An individual standing in a traffic roundabout was cordially and professionally asked to move to the sidewalk, no arrests were made.”

Last month, European football federations announced their intention for team captains – including England’s Harry Kane – to wear “One Love” rainbow armbands to symbolise opposition to LGBTQ+ discrimination in Qatar.

Tatchell added: “If a Qatari footballer came out as gay, he would not he would be more likely to be jailed, than be selected for Qatar’s national team. That’s discrimination. It’s against Fifa’s rules, and Fifa is doing nothing about it.”

The human rights campaigner added that Fifa had failed to secure change in Qatar, such as legislative reforms on LGBT+ or women’s rights, adding that the Gulf state had not fulfilled many of the pledges it made when it won the right to hold the World Cup.

Tatchell’s protest comes as Qatar’s ruling emir attacked criticism of his country over its hosting of the World Cup, describing it as an “unprecedented campaign” targeting the first Arab nation to hold the tournament.

In a televised speech before the emirate’s legislative body on Tuesday, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani said: “The campaign tends to continue and expand to include fabrications and double standards that were so ferocious that it has unfortunately prompted many people to question the real reasons and motives.”

Human rights groups have credited Qatar with improving its labour laws since it won the right to host the world’s biggest sporting event, such as dismantling the kafala system, for example, which tied a worker to a single employer, and introducing a minimum monthly wage. However, activists call for more to be done.

Sacha Deshmukh, Amnesty International UK’s chief executive, said: “Attempts to silence Peter Tatchell simply for drawing attention to Qatar’s outrageous criminalisation of LGBT people is a stark reminder of the repressive climate around freedom of expression in the country.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/25/peter-tatchell-qatar-doha-lgbt-rights-protest

Letting them...I think its more like appeasement..just like letting China do the same and any other regime around the world with horrific human rights. It won't stop. I wouldn't be surprised if after the disaster unrolling in Eastern Europe doesn't destroy the rest of us before being stopped they (Russia) aren't celebrating getting a winter Olympics or world Cup...maybe on the promise of the cheapest gas EVER just as long as we (the civilised world) retain our blind eye and they keep their gulags.

Laws should only be obeyed if the are right, if not no matter where they are they should be challenged at all times. Should we have obeyed apartheid in South Africa, segregation in the USA or anti semitism in Germany.

True..but you cannot rock up in many countries with extreme regimes or laws and voice an opinion or break laws without risk of a beating,prison or worse. Its only international pressure that can begin to change this as these governments will round up as many as they need to to continue what they do. But then,even though some laws are idealistic, wrong to many other countries etc how can these be changed without removing governments....and isn't it fact that a lot of those countries absolutely do not like the way we choose to live our lives and govern our lands and people?

Being asked not to drink is not the same as being asked not to be gay. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Last edited:
These countries need to be ostracised by the free world like South Africa were meaning no sport, trade or tourism.

Money Chippy, it’s all down to money, as usual. It won’t end well.
There will be people drinking in undesignated places, homosexuals making out in view of locals, all just to make a point.

Then their families will be crying to the foreign office saying they are at fault, and all because some people will be choosing to go to a place with restrictions and intentionally going against them.

People just don’t think about, or care about consequences, bit like people running about buying electric cars and wondering why we haven’t got enough electric left 🤷‍♂️

"respectful of the host nation", where same-sex activity is illegal.

A shabby use of quotation marks by the BBC, effectively, putting words into Cleverly's mouth.
If certain organisations would like to be coherent with what they wish to express the could boycott the WC, eg the BBC might not report on the matches.
Also, why not use the word homosexual rather than same-sex?

Last edited:
Money Chippy, it’s all down to money, as usual. It won’t end well.
There will be people drinking in undesignated places, homosexuals making out in view of locals, all just to make a point.

Then their families will be crying to the foreign office saying they are at fault, and all because some people will be choosing to go to a place with restrictions and intentionally going against them.

People just don’t think about, or care about consequences, bit like people running about buying electric cars and wondering why we haven’t got enough electric left 🤷‍♂️

False equivalence. Twice in one post.

I try to avoid interacting with oppressive regimes. It's not easy their tentacles are everywhere. In saudi as I understand if a saudi national crashes their car into yours. It's your fault because as a foreigner if you weren't there the crash wouldn't have happened. If you don't agree with the laws of a country don't visit. How arrogant to not respect the laws of a country you are visiting as a guest of that country.

At least when visiting wales you only have road signs, lots more 20 zones and speed humps to contend with wink...

I certainly won't be visiting the middle east. To hot, too much sand and concrete and they are not too fond of alcohol.

"respectful of the host nation", where same-sex activity is illegal.

A shabby use of quotation marks by the BBC, effectively, putting words into Cleverly's mouth.
If certain organisations would like to be coherent with what they wish to express the could boycott the WC, eg the BBC might not report on the matches.
Also, why not use the word homosexual rather than same-sex?
How is it “putting words into his mouth” when he said those exact words in the video in the OP?

For what it's worth i am openly straight and i don't walk round with multi coloured attire on my person telling the whole world which way i swing, i respect all people of this world no matter what their orinentation is and i also respect the laws of which ever country i am in even if i don,t agree with them, well that is my opinion now i shall wait for the flack

Back