Forget to chill for Hop Stand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Neck Oil clone today, I was meant to hop stand for 10 mins at 80 degrees but forgot to chill so the hop stand was actually circa 94/95, I then chilled and pumped into into the fermenter.

Will there be a significant difference with the bitterness, will the bitterness mellow out in the fermenter?

Yes there will be more bitterness than intended but I bet it's a great beer. I don't think bitterness reduces during fermentation (enough to change the profile of a beer) .

Last edited:
If you have your recipe in brewfather you can get an early idea by changing the hopstand temp in your recipe from what you intended to what you actually did. YMMV but for one of my recipes changing the 30m@78C to 30m@98C raises IBU from 30 to 71.

Good idea @chopps, I’ve just populated into Brewfather and that takes me from 15.2 to 42.5, purely from a hop stand perspective.

With the boil hops I’m into the high 70s, looking at those numbers I’m debating, clearing out and starting again

Good idea @chopps, I’ve just populated into Brewfather and that takes me from 15.2 to 42.5, purely from a hop stand perspective.

With the boil hops I’m into the high 70s, looking at those numbers I’m debating, clearing out and starting again
I'd still ferment it. Nothing to lose (apart from the yeast). I reckon it will still be nice.

Normally I wouldn’t mind, and to quote my dad “the 2nd pint is always better”, however I’m making for a friends wedding hence my nervousness, plan B may be get another brew on as soon as this is out the fermenter, however that would only have 2 weeks conditioning so that may be a little tight

West Coast Neck Oil 👍

I presume you were going to dry hop it so you'll get some of the hop aroma lost back from that

Might be too bitter for some palates though so for a wedding it might be a bit too much 🤔

I would stick it in there so you can use your temp controlled fv for for the replacement batch for the wedding. Will that let you get the important brew done in time?
This is actually a very good idea, I’d not thought of transferring the original out into the bucket

Last edited:
Back