Forum Raffle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coffee forum I'm a member of do raffles for grinders and things, they're very popular and the price varies depending on the value of the item. Usually pay by bank transfer to one account of a mod

I don't suppose they would be able to part with what they needed to do? or they do because otherwise it is looking like a show stopper

Every man and is dog are selling raffle tickets for some ****. Went to the local fate at the weekend and there must have been a dozen different groups selling tickets.

Generally, the only organisations given a "free pass" to operate a paid for raffle/draw are registered charities. Any commercial organisation, which is what THBF is, requires a licence and a legally appointed auditor to validate results and ensure against fraud. As the membership are members of THBF, which is a commercial enterprise, then a proper licence would be needed. Small societies tend to be things such as the local kids rugby team, which have no commercial interests and fund raise merely to cover costs of kit and travel etc.

I hope that helps a little.

FatCol

This is in direct contrast to what is written on the website of the Gambling Commission about private society lotteries, which do not require a licence (highlighting is my own):

Private society lotteries
5.5 A lottery is a private society lottery if it is promoted only by authorised members of a society and each person to whom a ticket is sold either is a member of the society or on premises wholly or mainly used for the administration of the society or the conduct of its affairs. The society can be any group or society, provided it is not established and conducted for purposes connected to gambling; for example private members clubs can organise such lotteries.
This type of lottery can be organised in two ways:
a. promoted and raise proceeds for the purposes for which the society is
conducted; or,
b. promoted wholly for a purpose other than that of private or commercial gain (such as to raise funds to support a charity or ‘good cause’).

Whats the Url for their site? I might join and have a chat with their mods.

This raffle malarcky is deffo going to need a bit of investigation if it's to go ahead

Coffeeforums.co.uk

This is in direct contrast to what is written on the website of the Gambling Commission about private society lotteries, which do not require a licence (highlighting is my own):

I think we may be ok legally and not need either a licence or to register as, as you say we would come under the Private lottery section of small lotteries.

Here's the PDF from the gambling commision's site on small lotteries if any one else is interested

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/pdf/organising-small-lotteries.pdf

Good idea,

Practical. ...

how will you be paid? PayPal works ( I use this on another forum), but then someone needs to set up an account and manage it

One way is a stated prize .. eg custom grain kit to £40 ...
a limited number of tickets
or monthly draw of whatever was raised
one thing you can't do is cash prizes as it then falls under gambling laws

Good idea,

Practical. ...

how will you be paid? PayPal works ( I use this on another forum), but then someone needs to set up an account and manage it

One way is a stated prize .. eg custom grain kit to �£40 ...
a limited number of tickets
or monthly draw of whatever was raised
one thing you can't do is cash prizes as it then falls under gambling laws

I was just going to use my paypal account if everyone was ok with that.

You say cash prizes are a no-no, what about gift vouchers for online shops? As they seem to be a preferred choice of prize for many members?

My two penneth.

Why don't we have a suggestion thread that lasts a day (or however long members want it), all interested members suggest something (within reason) they would like to win, the suggestion that is picked by the majority becomes the prize. (we would have to cross the "what if no one picks the same" bridge later)

The following day a thread is opened the value of the item is posted and on a first come first served basis you pledge �£2 (by posting in the thread) for a virtual ticket until the value of the item is reached then it is closed.

We know we will have to sort out how the draw is made so its all above board but we can do that later.

My two penneth.

Why don't we have a suggestion thread that lasts a day (or however long members want it), all interested members suggest something (within reason) they would like to win, the suggestion that is picked by the majority becomes the prize. (we would have to cross the "what if no one picks the same" bridge later)

The following day a thread is opened the value of the item is posted and on a first come first served basis you pledge ��£2 (by posting in the thread) for a virtual ticket until the value of the item is reached then it is closed.

We know we will have to sort out how the draw is made so its all above board but we can do that later.

Could work. To cross the "What if nooe picks the same prize" bridge we could do a prize poll?

That would work and be the fairest way of deciding.

Any thoughts from the members?

Newbie here, but couldn't the price be divided between 59, that would be the price of a ticket, then once all tickets are sold, first ball out of the lottery on the next draw wins?

I like the sound of this, and if it was say �£2 we have more chance of winning than on the lotto :grin:

I think gift vouchers or store credit would be the best idea as you can pick what you want. You would probably get more people having a go as well than if it was for a set prize.
An AG kit for example would be no good for me as I only have a 12L pot, so if it was a kit as a prize then a choice of tin/extract or AG would be good.

Latest posts

Back