Forum Raffle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see MyQul with £100 on red or black in a few weeks :lol:

I thought MM used to get his kids to pick names out of hats before???

Another potential problem I've discovered; Paypal consider raffles (lotteries) 'prohibited activites' so I have to get permission to use my paypal account. If they say no I might just open a seperate bank account todo bank transfers and use that just for the raffles

When people send you money just get them to select friends and family and it will be ok.

I think they'd soon suss if every month they saw loads of 2 pounds going into my account

They won't care and won't notice. There are a lot more sinister goings on through Paypal. Plus I used to sell a lot on Ebay, just what ever the trend was. Once I was selling those Live Strong bands at a couple a quid a pop so that is similar, plus we can just mark it as sponsorship.

They won't care and won't notice. There are a lot more sinister goings on through Paypal. Plus I used to sell a lot on Ebay, just what ever the trend was. Once I was selling those Live Strong bands at a couple a quid a pop so that is similar, plus we can just mark it as sponsorship.

Actually, I think your right. It'll just look like I flogging loads of the same thing for 2 quid

I've seen what were obviuosly Ebay sellers with sacks and sacks of parcels trying to get them all weighed up and sent. Absolute nightmare

Many years ago I spent 18 months working the Post Office counter but I was just too much of a space cadet to keep it together but I used to look at the queues standing out there and just pity them. Especially they guys that obviously had the car tax paperwork as you had to do in those days. They'd wait for an age and I'd have to go "Black ink please" and just turn them away. I didn't want to but the DVLA were such sticklers for....everything we had no choice......Trip down memory lane over, time for another beer.

I suspect Paypal might give you a bit of hassle if you suddenly get a load of £2 payments from "friends & family".

I used to be a member of a forum that ran a raffle every xmas and they insisted that it was paid as goods and that no mention of raffles was to be left in the comments section.

It would cost us all a tiny amount in fees but for the sake of not getting your PP account shut down I'd have us all pay as goods just to keep it all above board.

And for the sake of simplicity I'd just go for a random number generator, I'm sure we can all trust you :)

I agree that most on this forum would trust you with the random number generator (me included). However, I have done this sort of thing many times at work, sweepstakes, football predictions etc. If you, the organisor, wins, there is always someone who pipes up with 'fix'. I assume you will be entering as you set this sort of thing up so you must love a gamble as I do. My advice to you would be to make the validity of the draw as solid as possible. I don't have any knowledge of these number gererators. To cover your back is there some way entrants can see its definatley random?

Pelsey I have never taken part in a giveaway for this reason.

I think the number generator and video is a great idea.

I haven't got any brilliant insights to contribute but think this is a great idea. I'd be in & hope you can get it off the ground.
:cheers:

I agree that most on this forum would trust you with the random number generator (me included). However, I have done this sort of thing many times at work, sweepstakes, football predictions etc. If you, the organisor, wins, there is always someone who pipes up with 'fix'. I assume you will be entering as you set this sort of thing up so you must love a gamble as I do. My advice to you would be to make the validity of the draw as solid as possible. I don't have any knowledge of these number gererators. To cover your back is there some way entrants can see its definatley random?

As Chippy says,when we give aways none of the mod team enter for this reason

I say give it a blast, no matter what you do always a chance someone will moan on result but this forum seems to have plenty of people happy with results and know it's all above board. Always a chance it it could be debated to death.

Use an online random number generator with a timestamp and specify the time of the draw, film it and show the timestamp on the film, then post the film straight away. Not infallible, but as long as everyone knows what the process will be before they buy tickets, I don't think anyone could reasonably complain.

Back