Forum Raffle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I have a bit of an embrionic idea for a forum raffle. Basically members buy raffle tickets and any and all money raised goes towards a prize fund

As we are now reliant on vendors registering and running their own giveaways, have a forum raffle would put things back in our, the members and mod teams hands

This idea is still in its early stages, so I thought I'd start a discussion thread to try to thrash out ideas and the logistics of the thing and draw upon the forum wisdom, as some of the things I'm not sure on.

Cost of tickets
What would people be prepared to pay per raffle ticket? I was thinking about two pounds as this would be low enough for members who simply want a punt at winning a prize and members who want to support the raffle/forum could buy more tickets if they wanted. But better than 1 pound so we could get decent prizes. Is 2 quid too low, is it too high?

Paying for tickets
Does anyone know of any online 'thing' whereby members can pay money for tickets and we (the mod team) could then, when tickets have been bought/deadline for tickets have been reached, access the money to buy the prizes.
When I did the hop taster packs last year members were happy enough just to paypay me the money then I sent the pack out. Would member be happy with paypal-ing me money for ticket then I just buy the prizes?. Or would this not be acceptable to members.

Prizes
If I was to get prizes sent to winners from an online shop this would incurr a shipping cost. Would members be happy with that? As part of the T&C for the raffle would members be happy to pay for the shipping themselves? When Geterbrewed did the hop giveaway members had to buy something and the free hops were then included in the order. Would members be happy doing something similar?
Or would member prefer gift voucher prizes which (I think) wouldn't incurr shipping costs

There are problably lots of other little things that need to be taken into account when organising/running this. I'll post any more as I think of them.

At the end of the day they're may be too many insurmountable things to overcome to run it or there may not be enough interest. It's just an idea at the moment but all questions, comment, opinions welcome.

MyQul

Sounds like a good idea I was tempted to do a lotto bonus ball with the cost adding up to a grain father for the winner! I'm a coward tho and didn't being the idea up to people. If I was lucky to win I wouldn't mind paying postage as long as worth the prize I guess.

Sounds like a good idea I was tempted to do a lotto bonus ball with the cost adding up to a grain father for the winner! I'm a coward tho and didn't being the idea up to people. If I was lucky to win I wouldn't mind paying postage as long as worth the prize I guess.

I suppose that might depend on how popular it was. If the prize fund was quite big I imagine you/members wouldn't mind paying postage

I think it's a great idea and £2 a ticket is just about right for me. What sort of prizes were you thinking?

Maybe run a poll to gauge how many people would be interested?

Jas

Yeah I guess it depends on interest if 50 people punt at £2 thats £100 prize fund.. £2 seems a good amount and I think alot of people could have a punt at that.

This is true at £1-£5 I think most would fancy their chance at a prize or prizes worth more than paid out. I would be surprised if anyone would question sending to you or whom ever runs it, as the forum has been top banana with the giveaways. I'd be more than happy that's for sure.

I think it's a great idea and �£2 a ticket is just about right for me. What sort of prizes were you thinking?

Maybe run a poll to gauge how many people would be interested?

Jas

Previous give aways have been extract and AG kits. I was perhaps thinking something along those lines or gift vouchers from an online shop so people could buy what they wanted/needed I could do a poll about that.
I could do a poll about how many people would be interested but tbh I think it would be popular enough to be feasable as I think ticket prices are low enough - when I did the taster packs last year it was so popular I had to order more hops.
At the moment I'm just thinking about logistics and the feasability of that

I would be happy to pay £2 for a ticket. Maybe restrict it to one ticket per user and make it more regular thing. I don't mind paying you directly. I would prefer vouchers. Why need ask the companies that have joined to help out with prizes?

Maybe bulk buy grain and hops with the prize fund and do SMASH kits as prizes. I'm sure the winners would be doctoring them to their own tastes and what they already have in stock. We'd certainly see some interesting brews out of the prizes. £2 or £5, it's pennies to our spend throughout the year.

Sounds good to me at £2 a throw but have a problem with Paypal and prefer Credit or Debit Card for payment.

With regard to prizes (and as someone who seldom wins anything) I'm not too keen on paying postage so I would prefer HB Gift Cards as a prize. That way I could get something I needed. (I'm thinking of my Dad here who, as a man who owned racing pigeons, won three colour TV's back in the 70's! Before he won the fourth one he had persuaded the Club to offer cash as an alternative!)

Geterbrewed gift card or similar
Count me in, I would buy a ticket or two
PayPal is good for me

I had a quick look yesterday. HBC do but GEB dont. The great thing about vouchers as prizes, individual winning members (if it end up there's enough interest there more than one prize) could choose which shop they want vouchers from all I'd need to do is buy the voucher from the chosen online shop and they send me a code. I then PM the code to the winner.

I'll need to check this, but if a/the winner chooses HBC, using the forum discount code I think there will be 10% discount not 5%. A 5% discount when I buy the gift voucher (I'd have to work out how to pass on the 5% to the winner) and 5% when the winner(s) use the voucher :D

I'm also thinking to collect the money by paypay so any shop that I bought the vouchers/prizes would need paypal too(e.g. HBC and Malt Miller do). PP worked well when I did the taster packs last year. Very easy and safe to send money. There were a couple of members who didnt have PP accounts or didn't want to use PP. The work around was that they just used a friend or family members account to send me the money so they could join in.

Maybe bulk buy grain and hops with the prize fund and do SMASH kits as prizes. I'm sure the winners would be doctoring them to their own tastes and what they already have in stock. We'd certainly see some interesting brews out of the prizes. ��£2 or ��£5, it's pennies to our spend throughout the year.

Great idea Larry. The only thing is I'd have to use prize fund money to buy packaging to pack up the SMaSH kits then some more prize fund money to use a postage costs which is fine if members are happy with that

Latest posts

Back