Four Fruits cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gayle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I decided I'd make a batch of ribena cider today, the big bottles were half price in Dunnes so it was the perfect excuse! By the time I got round to making it, we'd drunk some of it and wasn't sure if half the bottle would be enough... so into a saucepan I poured maybe 500ml-ish of Ribena (didn't measure), then I added about 100ml (guess) each of raspberry and cherry polish syrups, and for the hell of it, half a jar of homemade blackberry jam. This was boiled for a few minutes then added to a demijohn along with 3 litres of apple juice, cup of tea, 2 tsp of pectolase, yeast nutrient and the yeast. Big shake, then I took the OG.

1.080 :shock:

whoops, that's what I get for not measuring anything.

I wasn't after something so strong, but I want it to taste okay! there's still a litre of headspace in the DJ though, so when it comes to topping up time, should I top up with water or apple juice? I'm worried extra water will make it taste thin, but adding apple juice might keep the alcohol level high and be nearly a wine! I won't mind it being a strong cider if it tastes nice, I might have to leave it for a good few months though.

By my calculations if I add one litre of apple juice to the brew, there will be approx 188g of sugar per litre which is about 9.5 % alcohol potential. If I top up with 1 litre water then there'll be 167g p/l which is still about 8%. Should I add malic acid and forget about it for a year (after racking)? Or maybe try to finish fermentation early with pot sorbate and have a still, sweet, lower abv cider? Is that even possible? I'll just have to see how this goes!

Just thought of something - roughly what is the alcohol tolerance of cider yeast? I'm just hoping it gives up and dies before all the sugar is eaten!

Latest posts

Back