Four Priests Murgy straight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for reference
8CE05A4D-C28A-4F7B-A974-5CF9BB6A26E0.jpeg
070AA8BA-C49A-4099-8035-9EA42F1BB679.jpeg

I’ve not been able to brew since June when my AIO packed up during the mash! Hopefully I will be back up and running this weekend and have some Talus in transit from CML. Murgy straight here I come… Been enjoying watching your progress chopps on YouTube, thanks for sharing and I hope you’re enjoying living the brewers dream

I’ve not been able to brew since June when my AIO packed up during the mash! Hopefully I will be back up and running this weekend and have some Talus in transit from CML. Murgy straight here I come… Been enjoying watching your progress chopps on YouTube, thanks for sharing and I hope you’re enjoying living the brewers dream
define ‘enjoying’ ? :)

It’s certainly keeping me busy, does that count?
Seriously though, it’s all worth it just for the feeling of people actually enjoying it. No Lamborghini yet.

define ‘enjoying’ ? :)

It’s certainly keeping me busy, does that count?
Seriously though, it’s all worth it just for the feeling of people actually enjoying it. No Lamborghini yet.
Yeah, they are some long brew days you’re doing.Keep it up, I love the warts and all approach, it’s good to see it’s not just me that messes up, forgets things and leaves taps open!

I bet it is great to see people buy it, enjoy and go back for more. Maybe if you’re good Santa will bring you a corgi one for Christmas.

Yep really enjoying the YouTube vids, keep it up! My dad lives out your way so keep on meaning to swing by one of the pubs to give your beer a go when I next head over that way....or might even try to find an excuse to head Retford way as I'm wanting to try Harry's beers too and could kill two birds with one stone now that you're expanding and going inter-regional!

Yep really enjoying the YouTube vids, keep it up! My dad lives out your way so keep on meaning to swing by one of the pubs to give your beer a go when I next head over that way....or might even try to find an excuse to head Retford way as I'm wanting to try Harry's beers too and could kill two birds with one stone now that you're expanding and going inter-regional!
Will let you know once he's tapped one, or is about to. Cheers!

@chopps , did you notice any difference in murgy when brewed at commercial scales vs homebrew?
I'm wondering whether the increased size and change of process made a noticeable difference in the final beer

@chopps , did you notice any difference in murgy when brewed at commercial scales vs homebrew?
I'm wondering whether the increased size and change of process made a noticeable difference in the final beer
A couple of things that caught me out and changed the finished bigger scale product.
And yes it did change the beer but both things can be handled. You just have to plan for it.

1) 60 minute mash at home, then sparge doesn't take long if you're doing one. At home I did a full volume mash with circulation so I didn't sparge at all. Sometimes a mash out at 76 if I felt like it, as I had the element in the all-in-one.
Basically by 70 mins from mash in, the grain is out and I'm raising temps to boil.

So you copy-paste that into 400 litres. 60 minutes mash, check it's all good then start to sparge.
Which takes perhaps an hour sometimes. And I can't do a mash out at the brewery, so you might have grain sitting in the tun at 65C for a couple of hours if it's slow. And if it's a stuck mash you're in trouble.
So you end up with super attenuative wort and way higher abv than you wanted. Sometimes you get 93% attenuation and you call that batch "Murgy Straight Festival Edition" :)

2) Hops. Very similar situation. At home, say a 60 minute boil with hops at 60, 30 and 5 mins. Then cool and get it in the fermenter. At home I used to chuck the hops in loose and cooled and transfered quickly. At the brewery the hops will sit in the kettle for 45 mins or 1hr after boil, as you transfer. The 60 min hops have probably given up their bitterness before the boil is over, but those 5 minute hops become 50 minute hops as we're not cooling the wort in the copper. The heat exchanger cools the wort as it leaves and goes into the FV.

You work it out as you go along.

Cheers A

So after all of that, how different were the final beers in the glass (did you ever drink that murky straight someone sent you?).

Did you have to change your mash schedule/hop bill when scaling up, or just accept the beer changed?

Last edited:
After we changed from Trial Batch to Murgy, it's still a bit different than the homebrew.
During Trial Batch we got feedback from drinkers which one they preferred and the first one won, in spite of the drier finish and hop difference.
The only batch that's different is this current bottle batch where I upped the hops a tiny bit to compensate for the likelihood of people chilling it way down in the fridge and killing the aroma and flavour.

I have a few homebrewed Murgys and Murkys that have been sent to me. Currently unopened in my fridge.
Once mine is labeled up I'm taking them to the pub for a blind tasting in an upcoming episode.
I can share then how the homebrew compares, side by side. One is from Pat's Brewery and the other from South West Beer Club. I did get a couple of others but drank them :)

Latest posts

Back