Free Course Chemistry of Brewing - online

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I came across this - https://janux.ou.edu/landing/#CHEM4970chemistry.

CHEMISTRY OF BEER
This course covers the process of brewing from grain to final bottle product and the chemical and biochemical process involved in each step. Students will be required to utilize previous knowledge in General and Organic chemistry to understand: analytical techniques in brewing, chemistry of the ingredients and products, and the molecules involved in the biochemical processes. During the course, students will also learn the similarities and differences between beer styles, home and commercial brewing processes, and analytical techniques. There is a great deal of Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry involved in the malting, mashing and fermentation process and understanding the chemistry behind the flavor, aroma, and color of beer. Students should have a basic knowledge of general and organic chemistry.

I'm going to register :-)

Good Luck. Aamcle

Sounds interesting. I wish I didn't have so much going on at the moment or I might have enrolled. Nice of them to allow free access. Keep us posted on how it's going.

Fantastic stuff. I've been looking for an interesting course to do.

Edit: A quick google has revealed that this OU is actually Oklahoma University not the Open University as I originally thought. Doesn't matter, but thought I'd highlight it!

Thanks that will keep me out of trouble for a while and make SWMBO roll her eyes in that way that they do.

:hmm: ...not sure that an A in O level chemistry back in 1986 counts as "a basic knowledge of general and organic chemistry"...don't think I have time anyway

Yeah I signed up a while back. Its quite straight forward and mostly done via vidoes.

perfect for a lunch break at work

I've registered and tried going onto the site a couple of times but after about 15 mins I get a time out notice.

Can I ask are you guys all using Windows? I'm using linux which may be the root of the problem.

It looks like they archive courses for online access once the official course has run, hopefully they will archive this course so there is no pressure to keep up with the 'official' students and it can be accessed at leisure later.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back