Free database website host ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrsy86

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm after a free webhost that let's you have an Excel style database on their site. Im guessing it would need PHP/SQL to do this ?

Anyone know a site that offers this ?

Cheers

Marrsy

Cheers for that, checked them out and they have set up fees, as it's just a small project I don't want to pay anything out.

Cheers

Marrsy

Marrsy86 said:
Excel style database on their site.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
Excel is NOT a database, it is a spreadsheet package!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Im guessing it would need PHP/SQL to do this ?
You're guessing, how do you think we are going to be able to help??

Sorry but this sort of thing is my day job, and I get an awful lot of 'users' coming to me with exactly this sort of half arsed 'idea'.

We would be able to provide more help and advice if we actually knew what your requirements were. . . . For example my web host will allow me to host your site, which can be database driven if you require that (for a zero charge) . . .but in order to do so I need to know what it is you want to do . . . . and are you going to do all the coding yourself.

Requirements FIRST

then solutions ;)

Aleman said:
Requirements FIRST
then solutions ;)

The day that happens will be a miracle. It's my day job too.

I have recently become involved in a large multi million dollar project, involving a large web based front end that links into both an Oracle Database for it's metadata and IBM mainframe VSAM files as the Master of Record.

It's quite incredible how much of it has been designed and built with little or no requirements. We don't even know who is going to use it yet :shock:

Runwell-Steve said:
Aleman said:
Requirements FIRST
then solutions ;)

The day that happens will be a miracle. It's my day job too.

I have recently become involved in a large multi million dollar project, involving a large web based front end that links into both an Oracle Database for it's metadata and IBM mainframe VSAM files as the Master of Record.

It's quite incredible how much of it has been designed and built with little or no requirements. We don't even know who is going to use it yet :shock:
You're not alone, I've just inherited a process that imports data from Oracle into Excel, then from Excel into SQL Server, then from SQL Server to Filemaker (a little known database thing a bit like Access), then Filemaker generates a report in Excel which is then imported back into Oracle

Marrsy86 said:
Hi guys,

I'm after a free webhost that let's you have an Excel style database on their site. Im guessing it would need PHP/SQL to do this ?

Anyone know a site that offers this ?

Cheers

Marrsy

If you're still looking www.000webhost.com are worth a look. I use them a lot and they have very liyttle downtime. but as the other posters pointed out a DB is not an excel spreadsheet.

GL with your project.

sheffieldlad said:
If you're still looking http://www.000webhost.com are worth a look. I use them a lot and they have very liyttle downtime. but as the other posters pointed out a DB is not an excel spreadsheet.

GL with your project.

Cheers I have checked them out, do you know if they have an online tool to make your database or do you have to upload it from Access or something ?

Marrsy86 said:
sheffieldlad said:
If you're still looking http://www.000webhost.com are worth a look. I use them a lot and they have very liyttle downtime. but as the other posters pointed out a DB is not an excel spreadsheet.

GL with your project.

Cheers I have checked them out, do you know if they have an online tool to make your database or do you have to upload it from Access or something ?

They have an online tool called phpmyadmin but if you are a novice user you will find it VERY difficult to use and you will still have to write the php/mysql scripts to log in and out of the database to display information etc.

If you give me an idea of what you are trying to achieve I'll gladly help you out all I can.

Thats way too hard for me lol.

Basically im trying to change my recipie thread here into and online databse so people can just choose from a drop down menu what they want for example "Cider". or if they want something that takes 1 week to ferment they can choose that. Basically I was thinking of trying to have every option thinkable and if you wanted a cider that can be fermented in two weeks that is 5% then you woudl choose "Cider" "2 Weeks to ferment" and "5%" and something like Turbo Cider would show up.

I think this might be a little too hard and that the PDF system I have now will be easier ?

Marrsy86 said:
Thats way too hard for me lol.

Basically im trying to change my recipie thread here into and online databse so people can just choose from a drop down menu what they want for example "Cider". or if they want something that takes 1 week to ferment they can choose that. Basically I was thinking of trying to have every option thinkable and if you wanted a cider that can be fermented in two weeks that is 5% then you woudl choose "Cider" "2 Weeks to ferment" and "5%" and something like Turbo Cider would show up.

I think this might be a little too hard and that the PDF system I have now will be easier ?

By the sound of it, it would be simple to an SQL ninja (I'm not one) and very difficult for a mere mortal like you or me.

There might be an easier way round it. Let me mull it over and get back to you.
twenty to 11 at night with a belly full of ale is not the best time to start thinking about technical things :drink:

I've said it before in a private message "Wordpress"

Schimples ;)

As a SQL Ninja in my day job I see little point in reinventing the wheel

Aleman said:

Schimples ;)

As a SQL Ninja in my day job I see little point in reinventing the wheel

I agree 100% about not reinventing the wheel and I almost suggested Wordpress but I can't quite figure out the best way to do it.

I haven't looked but I doubt a suitable plugin exists.
The only other way I could think of was categoriesw and I'm not too sure this will suit what Marrsy has in mind.

Off to look for a plugin now.....
:)

Aleman said:

Schimples ;)

All hail the aleman. :clap: :thumb: :clap:

Wordpress has a pluging available from http://opensourcebrew.org/

looks like an impressive little plugin too. could be just what you are after Marrsy.

If you need any help setting it up let me know.

Back