Free hops to collect - Scotland Central Belt - Now offering postage (details in post #6)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might give them a try, I'm a bit paranoid about the onion / garlic flavours apparently they can give later in the boil. šŸ˜

I tested the hydrometer sample of my Old Ale I brewed with summit as the bittering hop and they seem to give a lovely pronounced, but smooth, bittering flavour.
No onion taste in mine jjsh, I whirlpooled as I said with 70g and dry hopped with 50g and fine.
The new brew today is 70g Summit 40G Chinook whirlpooled for 30 mins at 75c and no dry hop on this one.
Do have a go it was a lovely as a lawn mower beer

I love Summit so couldnā€™t believe my luck when this offer came up from @DocAnna .

I was lucky enough to be sent 225g Summit pellets as a prize for coming joint first in THBF January 2020 Competition - American Pale Ales. I used them for the first time to make a Summit Pale Ale (all Summit but with just a 30g Centennial dry hop) and have loved them ever since.

One of the beers I made with Summit and Mandarina was sent to @strange-steve and he reviewed it here Strange-steve's Homebrew Reviews
My reply in that thread contains a link to the recipe.

Last edited:
Hi Anna

I have made afew brews with the hops I got from you ,one in particular was very good . A Red X malt with both First Gold and Summit .
Did you use all Red X or was it a mixed grain brew? as I have used Red X before but never as a solitary grain

Red X on its own , it made a very smooth brew . I have also used it on its own with Citra which was also very nice. I got the Red X from MM I was going to buy 15kg but it worked out basically the same price to buy 5 x5 kg delivered.

Red X on its own , it made a very smooth brew . I have also used it on its own with Citra which was also very nice. I got the Red X from MM I was going to buy 15kg but it worked out basically the same price to buy 5 x5 kg delivered.

Will give it a try with English hops and a touch of say cascade me thinks

I'd love to see or have links to some recipes. I've been on a bit of a brewing hiatus with work being a bit full on at the moment, but it would be great to try something with both First Gold and Summit.
Never heard of Red X till now, it sounds rather intriguing but I've a large supply of base malts already so won't be changing them anytime soon.

Anna

Hi Anna it is a blend of grains to give the beer a red tinge. I have used it several times but never on its own usually it is recommended to add a little lager/pilsner malt to aid the red colouring, how that works I do not know.
I would say it gives the beer a fuller sweeter taste as if it has a little crystal in it.
I have done a form of bitter with it and used first gold which is my fave British hop for bitters/ales so adding a little summit to this would give that nice American fruitiness to it similar to what hob goblin has with cascade in it I believe.
I am going to make mine next week but use chinook, summit and comet as I need to use these up so will report back once it is drinkable

Hi Anna it is a blend of grains to give the beer a red tinge. I have used it several times but never on its own usually it is recommended to add a little lager/pilsner malt to aid the red colouring, how that works I do not know.
I would say it gives the beer a fuller sweeter taste as if it has a little crystal in it.
I have done a form of bitter with it and used first gold which is my fave British hop for bitters/ales so adding a little summit to this would give that nice American fruitiness to it similar to what hob goblin has with cascade in it I believe.
I am going to make mine next week but use chinook, summit and comet as I need to use these up so will report back once it is drinkable

I hadn't realised it was a blend. I had thought it was a proprietary kiln that produced it.

Last edited:
Hi Baron. Unless I'm absolutely adrift here, Bestmalz Red-X isn't a blend, rather a single malt kilned to exactly the right colour to give a red ale. They recommend using it to produce a beer with an OG around 1050 and they also recommend it be used without any additives. I've got half a bag needs using up so I'd better get on with it. I find it just a bit thin and sharp on its own so I'd prefer to add something and adjust it back to it's original oolour.

I recall you shared a recipe for rye beer with Red-X base. I knocked some up and enjoyed it immensely.

Sorry you 2 chaps you are of course correct I had a senior moment there and will take my punishment you give outashock1 and yesAA you did brew one of the recipes I did with it.
I like it too but am about to use it totally on its own so will report back
Ps sorry for the misinformation Anna hope you will forgive measad1

I still have some Red X left may try adding some Pilsner Malt to it, as well as using Summit will add Casade.
Anna I will have 2kg of Red X spare if you want I can drop it off when passing .

I still have some Red X left may try adding some Pilsner Malt to it, as well as using Summit will add Casade.
Anna I will have 2kg of Red X spare if you want I can drop it off when passing .
Wow that's a generous offer and yes please, it would be really interesting to try the Red X in something that's not normally red...maybe a pilsner or even an NEIPA. I quite fancy the idea of a pink NEIPA šŸ˜.

Would you like a couple of kilos of Crafty Maltsters grain in exchange- I've Pop's pale ale and Lucky's lager malt?

Anna

I thought Iā€™d give an update on a brew I did with my free Summit hops. I just did 10l to test as they are new to me and I could only really find a couple of recipes so I played around a bit to suit myself! Iā€™m very happy with it, itā€™s a hoppy pale ale with a dry bitter finish, very refreshing. Iā€™ve loads of hops left, thinking maybe subbing the lager malt for something like Maris Otter and adding a little Crystal malt to the bill as I think itā€™ll round it off a bit better.

Thanks again Anna.

Hereā€™s the recipe I used (came out bang on!)

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Summit this, Summit that

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 10 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 14 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.030
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.39%
IBU (tinseth): 69.77

FERMENTABLES:
1.5 kg - Finest Lager Malt (73.9%)
200 g - CaraMalt (9.9%)
110 g - Munich Malt (5.4%)
110 g - Carapils Malt (5.4%)
110 g - Torrified Wheat (5.4%)

HOPS:
2.5 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 13.64
3.5 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.86
10 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 25.32
7 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 12.95
32 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Steeping, Temp: 65 C, Time: 70 min, Amount: 15 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 each - Protafloc, Time: 15 min,

YEAST:
Gervin Ale (by Muntons) GV-12 (AKA Wilkos)
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

I thought Iā€™d give an update on a brew I did with my free Summit hops. I just did 10l to test as they are new to me and I could only really find a couple of recipes so I played around a bit to suit myself! Iā€™m very happy with it, itā€™s a hoppy pale ale with a dry bitter finish, very refreshing. Iā€™ve loads of hops left, thinking maybe subbing the lager malt for something like Maris Otter and adding a little Crystal malt to the bill as I think itā€™ll round it off a bit better.

Thanks again Anna.

HOME BREW RECIPE:

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 10 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 14 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.030
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.39%
IBU (tinseth): 69.77

FERMENTABLES:
1.5 kg - Finest Lager Malt (73.9%)
200 g - CaraMalt (9.9%)
110 g - Munich Malt (5.4%)
110 g - Carapils Malt (5.4%)
110 g - Torrified Wheat (5.4%)

HOPS:
2.5 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 13.64
3.5 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.86
10 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 25.32
7 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 12.95
32 g - Summit (18.5 AA), Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 18.5, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Steeping, Temp: 65 C, Time: 70 min, Amount: 15 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 each - Protafloc, Time: 15 min,

YEAST:
Gervin Ale (by Muntons) GV-12 (AKA Wilkos)
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

Ive used my Summit in every beer Iā€™ve made since I got mine and most before that. Itā€™s my go to. I always have a Summit pale ale either on tap or ready to go. The recipe for my latest version is in my brew day thread here:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/mark-kā€™s-brewdays.91047/page-7#post-1058969

@DocAnna I brewed a English golden ale with first gold and summit hop's. If I am honest it's not to my taste. It scored 37 points in the monthly competition, so maybe not to bad.
Can you send me your address, I will drop something else in as well. Maybe an imperial dark Saison or a porter

Thanks again Anna.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Oh I love the name you gave that recipe šŸ˜, and so glad they went to good use. I still need to actually make something with them as I've been a bit snowed under with work and did a couple of kit brews recently which in hindsight was a bit of a mistake as I'm a bit disappointed in them. I'm missing a good brew day and think I'll give either your or @Benfleet Brewery's recipe a go. The hops are filling the freezer on top of my kegerator at the moment.

Anna

Back