Freeminer Brewery - what yeast ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shocker

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got a bottle of Gold Miner bottle conditioned ale from the CoOp , made by the Freeminer Brewery in the Forest of Dean and quite pleasant it is too . I am intending to save a litle to culture the yeast and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this lot and their beer , particularly what the yeast I am saving actually is ..... :hmm:

I have no idea as to what yeast it is but it goes like a rocket, its a top worker so leave a good bit of headspace in your FV.

I did it with a pale, took ages to clear unfortunatly, If I was using it again I would chill it after a week by shoving it outside overnight before racking to another FV, then a good bit of gelatine to get the thing somewhere near clear. It leaves a fruity taste from memory.

I am using the yeast from a bottle of Fullers IPA at the moment. Never seen owt like it. Must be 3 inches of foam on the top

robbarwell said:
I am using the yeast from a bottle of Fullers IPA at the moment. Never seen owt like it. Must be 3 inches of foam on the top

I'm a big fan of the Fullers yeast, if it's the one from their Bengal Lancer. It does give a big foamy head, but on my ESB clone it dropped out really nicely once it was done and it must be high flocculation 'cos it sticks to the bottom of the bottle brilliantly after secondary ferment....you can pour the whole bottle with hardly any yeast getting into the glass.

Freeminer have their own strain. Ive met the brewer a couple of times, nice enough chap with plenty of knowledge. The yeast from the fullers bottles is a secondary yeast and is not their pitching strain. Would love to be able to have the time to crop from bottles, so many good yeasts out there.

I was always told the opposite, but could be wrong. I'll ask about with some people that know John Keeling the head brewer there.

My two penneth...

Fullers Bengal Lancer, from the notes off the Whitelab site follows exactly what it says. It is a bottom worker and smells lovely when fermenting. If it is not the primary strain its still works very well.

Hi Rob,

I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I needed to double-check my facts with Don Burgess, our Head Brewer, before I committed myself to a reply on a ‘technical’ issue. He confirms that we use Nottingham Ale yeast to best effect with this beer. I hope that helps.

Good luck with your endeavours,

Pam

Pam Taylor

Freeminer Ltd.

I think this answers the origonal question

I seem to remember using Freeminer in the past with good effect. These days I usually get my yeast from bottles of Coniston Bluebird. Never had problems with it and it clears down nicely and seems to stick to the bottom of the bottles really well.

Latest posts

Back