Frisps Two Firkin Brewery - the plan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok Ladies and gents this is the plan so far.

I already have a 100l SS Boiler built and used a couple of times in the past. Im going to convert it to bottom draining , add a new stainless braided hop strainer and a lovely thermowell for a PT100. This will be permanently mounted on a purpose made bench with an extractor system blowing steam outside...

Initially I will have flow and return plumbing for my twin coil immersion chiller but when cash allows I will have to get me a therminator... its a must...

Next to the boiler bench will be a tall insulated fermentation cupboard with 50mm insulations The heating side will be a tube heater but the cold side ( and I still have to look at this properly) I want to try and set up a radiator with cold glycol pumped from a beerchiller . A couple of small extractors will pull the cold air into the cupboard... this should allow the space under the FV which will be 120L conical, will make a great place to keep full cornies under pressure for force carbonation and later bottling, should be a very controllable environment for this)
The alternative will be to follow Vossy1 and fix a double product coil in the FV and cool the wort direct..

Next in line will be the MT which I already have built its a 70L Thermobox converted and fitted with a SS false bottom by Muddydisco way back last year. Initially Im not adding a herms but I will be building my plumbing to accommodate one as an add on.
I want to get brewing again asap and doing the Herms thing will add a couple of months to my build... and Im thirsty,,, very thirsty..

I intend to build my MT in on a shelf about a foot off the floor.. and gravity feed it from my HLT( 70L SS which I have) on shelf above. In the cavity under the MT the pump will live. Its a sooper dooper mutts nuts of a pump I bought way back from a forum member, its a 12 v mag coupled pump and way overspeced for a brewery . I shall feed the pump through a manifold system which wil allow me to select the vessel that the liquids are flowing from. The outlet will feed another manifold which will terminate in cam lock couplings. This will allow me to feed liquid into whatever vessel I want. i.e boiler, therminator, HX ( when I build it) and finally into the FV, and to dismantle the various elements for cleaning , maitainence and shiney additions..

Everything will be PID and PT100 controlled with an additional PID as a temp readout from within the mash

The first phase is to build the Boiler shelf and the Fermentation cupboard.. phase 1 is planned for the new year and I will post piccies as I go... Of course this is all dependant on all the usual proviso's-wife doesn't notice, she doesn't see the credit card statement and she believes me when I say Im building it out of some old **** I had laying around which just happened to buff up really well !!!!!! Wish me luck peeps..

Why such a large conical wouldn't 100ltr work well and be cheaper?

Sounds good thought pictures are a must :D

Frisp said:
Archtronics said:
Why such a large conical wouldn't 100ltr work well and be cheaper?

Sounds good thought pictures are a must :D

It would, I don't think the supplier I have picked does a 100. only a 40 or 120..

No 120 seems to be the standard ;)

I say F, should it not be a "two firkin" (kilderkin is less known and a bit boring) brewery. ;) :? :lol:
S

Frisp said:
Glycol pumped from a beerchiller . A couple of small extractors will pull the cold air into the cupboard... this should allow the space under the FV which will be 120L conical, will make a great place to keep full cornies under pressure for force carbonation and later bottling, should be a very controllable environment for this)
The alternative will be to follow Vossy1 and fix a double product coil in the FV and cool the wort

All sounds good. I'd like to add a chiller to control fermentation in summer eventually. Instincti ely i think the immersion coil cooling sounds best, efficient and controllable with a sensor in the FV. Keep us updated with pictures. Good luck convincing the wife how cheap it was :-)

I say F, should it not be a "two firkin" (kilderkin is less known and a bit boring) brewery.
S
Frisps Two Firkin.. I like that... I could make Brews such as "Tight, Fat, Bladdered, Handsome, billeous ,arsey etc.... I do like it.. Thats teh Brewery name settled Its "Frisps Two Firkin Brewery"... Thank S

All sounds good. I'd like to add a chiller to control fermentation in summer eventually.
PJB - Im thinking of all the future brewing adventures such as lagering as well as doing a standard ferment..ooooo im about to judderr at the thought of it..... :)

Vossy1 said:
Can't wait to see your build F :cool:
I think this is going to be one of those slow build threads, make the small bits like spinny things and set them all aside and bring it all together in a flurry at the end... although I want to throw the turkey in the bin and use chrimbo day for something useful like build the two firkin brewery Pics will be posted at the appropriate opperchancities...

I suppose the first brew should be Frisps Two Firkin "Slow"

Im already planning the second brew which will be hopped with Fuggles only as a small tribute to my Sister in law (not the pretty one) and it will be - Two Firkin "Fuggly"

Latest posts

Back