Fritz's Festbier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am pulling this out of my usual thread because it's a bit more complicated than my usual brews (though not as complicated as other folk's)

Basically have a question about the fermenting schedule. Fermenting a Festbier with Wyeast 2633. SG was 1.057. Fermented at 10degC for 10 days, then increased to 13degC where it has been sitting for about three days or so. Was trying to do a more traditional lager fermentation. But at some point I need to ramp up to 18degC to finish off.

Beer is currently sat at 1.024. When should I start to ramp up?

Other details:

Simply the Fest
Batch size 23L
5.1kg Bohemian Pilsner
500g Munich II
500g Vienna
200g Melanoidin

Step mash: 15min@55degC, 30min@62degC, 30min@68degC, mash hour at 75degC

90 minute boil. Hops were all Hallertauer Mittelfrueh: 30g@60min, 30g@30min, 15g@10min

First time ever I made a starter - 3L using 1 pack of Wyeast 2633. Seems to have worked so far, though obviously a big lag of about 48hours at the start.

Looks great! I love this sort of beer! I would've started winding the temp up 1 degree a day about a week ago. I'm sure it will be fine, but I would start inceasing now.

It is in the keg doing a little light lagering. I did gelatin it in the FV, but the samples I'm getting are quite cloudy still. Not sure if there's anything I should do (it tastes fine, if young, but very hazy)

I would usually lager for a month in a secondary fv before I put it in the keg. When I rack it from secondary to the keg it usually leaves a layer of brown stuff at the bottom, which is all the haze forming particles that have dropped out during lagering. If you are lagering in the keg then this stuff is dropping out in the bottom of the keg and when you pull a pint you may be disturbing this layer at the bottom and it's ending up in your glass.

I would usually lager for a month in a secondary fv before I put it in the keg. When I rack it from secondary to the keg it usually leaves a layer of brown stuff at the bottom, which is all the haze forming particles that have dropped out during lagering. If you are lagering in the keg then this stuff is dropping out in the bottom of the keg and when you pull a pint you may be disturbing this layer at the bottom and it's ending up in your glass.
Unfortunately I only have a single FV. I have made lager before without issue like this, but the gelatin has normally done its job in the FV - it was in there fir about a month. Perhaps I missed a step somewhere. Will leave it a few weeks and see what happens

if it tastes ok.. just enjoy it! Try something different next time. Looks aren't everything!

I'm sure it will clear up over time. Usually by the time you pull your last pint off the keg!

Latest posts

Back