Frozen beer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunnibrewer

Reaction score
My fermenting chamber went a little far. I'm bottling my PA today. Went to get my FV out of the freezer and it has dropped the temp down to 31.1 and my beer is a little frozen! Waiting for it to thaw out now. Guess I made my first ice beer! So my question is: did I kill my yeast and will I be able to add my carb sugar and still have a fizzy beer in a couple of weeks? What do I do?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may well have killed the yeast as freezing causes ice crystals to form in the cells which burst the cell walls and kill the yeast.
Long periodsof lagering can cause the yeast to get pooped out and cant carb the beer up. What lager makers do is add some yeast slurry (about 60ml) to the bottling bucket. If you dont have any just make a small starter.

You may well have killed the yeast as freezing causes ice crystals to form in the cells which burst the cell walls and kill the yeast.
Long periodsof lagering can cause the yeast to get pooped out and cant carb the beer up. What lager makers do is add some yeast slurry (about 60ml) to the bottling bucket. If you dont have any just make a small starter.

Along with bottling sugar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back