Frozen cold Timothy Taylor Landlord

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
Well - that was a mistake.....

A friend offered me the use of their summerhouse/shed to store a fermenting fridge and to brew in, in exchange for beer... so, this allows me to expand capacity as I've only room for one fermenter at home.

As I had the afternoon off yesterday, I cracked on with a AG Timothy Taylor Landlord sort of recipe:

Marris Otter - 4700gms
50g Fuggles - 60mins
40g Goldings - 60mins
10g Goldings - 15mins

All went well up til the chill... used the immersion coil to drop it to around 28c, which is my usual and it drops the last few C's as I run it out into the fermenter, ready for yeast pitching

What I didnt take into consideration was how bloody cold it was in there...! By the time I was ready to pitch, the collected wort had cooled down to around 13degrees C.

I'd proofed and rehydrated the yeast (Safale 04) and pitched it in anyway and got it tucked into the fridge which had been preheated to 18degrees.

I'm just hoping that it wasn't too cold for the yeast to get a good start, or at least that it's caught up once the heater in the fridge has done its work....

You may of temperature shocked your yeast.

I came across the term heat shock/temperature shock when reading the yeast book. It seemed to imply adverse effect due to large temperature changes when handling the yeast. However the book didn't really delve too deeply into temperature shocking, so I did a bit of googling.

It turns out temperature shock on yeast is one of those areas where there seems quite a bit of contrary information. Some people saying it has no effect, some people saying cold to warm is ok but warm to cold isnt and visa versa. The best I could come up with is you may cause some off flavours as large temperature swings is a stress factor on yeast and stress factors can cause off flavour.

If I was you I'd just have some back up yeast just in case

Back