Frozen Fruit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombatski

Reaction score
I made a batch of wine last year using frozen red fruit from ASDA. Sampled it today prior to bottling and it is delicious.
Fruit wine
Bucket
2 x 500g asda frozen black forest fruit mix
1 Lt RGJ
1 k sugar in 2 lts boiling water
2 tea bag cup
pectin 1tsp
glycerine 1tsp
1 lemon juice
starter wine cup with nutrient
300g sultanas
fruit strained off
Racked

red wine.jpg

I made a batch of wine last year using frozen red fruit from ASDA. Sampled it today prior to bottling and it is delicious.
Fruit wine
Bucket
2 x 500g asda frozen black forest fruit mix
1 Lt RGJ
1 k sugar in 2 lts boiling water
2 tea bag cup
pectin 1tsp
glycerine 1tsp
1 lemon juice
starter wine cup with nutrient
300g sultanas
fruit strained off
Racked
I've just started this one.
It's been in the demijohn a week and SG dropped quickly to 0.994
I used GERVIN GV5 yeast
I didn't take the original SG !
After racking what should I do / expect next?

Many thanks

I'm going to guess you're going to rack into a demijohn.
Put in a cool, dark place(that you can get to)
Every 2 weeks or so, shine one of those high power led torches through it to see how clear it is.

When you're happy with clarity (at least a few months if you don't use finings), transfer to bottles

I'm going to guess you're going to rack into a demijohn.
Put in a cool, dark place(that you can get to)
Every 2 weeks or so, shine one of those high power led torches through it to see how clear it is.

When you're happy with clarity (at least a few months if you don't use finings), transfer to bottles
Great
Thanks
That's what I had in mind.

What about degassing?
Also; any chemicals to add and at what stages?

Thanks again

Great
Thanks
That's what I had in mind.

What about degassing?
Also; any chemicals to add and at what stages?

Thanks again
2 options

you can degass when racking most have a home made tool for use in a power drill (much quicker) or can vigorously shake it but takes a while

other opttion is leave in dj with an airlock and let it settle and degass over time a few months

2 options

you can degass when racking most have a home made tool for use in a power drill (much quicker) or can vigorously shake it but takes a while

other opttion is leave in dj with an airlock and let it settle and degass over time a few months
Thanks.
I think I'll shake the demi john.

And chemicals to stop fermentation?
Necessary?

Thanks.
I think I'll shake the demi john.

And chemicals to stop fermentation?
Necessary?
Yes if you want to age wine you need to stop fermentation unless you are looking to carbonate I just use what I got from home brew shop various methods tho.

If you leave it any sugars will be consumed and continue to get stronger fine if you want that but well lose sweetness if you want to retain that stop before it goes dry I do that with rose for example

Personally, I would leave the wine for at least another week, before doing anything. I wouldn't even be checking the wine or gravity this soon. Give the yeast a chance to work and clear up after itself.
If you are fermenting to dry, which it seems that you are, you won't need to stop the fermentation. I use a camden tablet when racking, so I would advise you to do similar.
I don't want sweet, or sweetened wine, but if I did, I would ferment until dry, use a combination of camden tablet and potassium sorbate to stop any further fermentation and back sweeten with sugar. I think this would be more precise.

Personally, I would leave the wine for at least another week, before doing anything. I wouldn't even be checking the wine or gravity this soon. Give the yeast a chance to work and clear up after itself.
If you are fermenting to dry, which it seems that you are, you won't need to stop the fermentation. I use a camden tablet when racking, so I would advise you to do similar.
I don't want sweet, or sweetened wine, but if I did, I would ferment until dry, use a combination of camden tablet and potassium sorbate to stop any further fermentation and back sweeten with sugar. I think this would be more precise.
nice idea
thanks

Latest posts

Back