frozen rhubarb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevestella

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for letting me join.
Relatively new to brewing.
I was told the best way to make rhubarb and raisin wine is to freeze 2 an a1/2 kilos of chopped up rhubarb and then let thaw out in a culinder and use the juice thst comes out to make the wine.
So my question is there is not a lot of juice so do you mash up the rhubarb to extract more.
Thanks steve

Welcome to the forum Steve, i have never made rhubarb wine but imagine mashing would be a good idea.

I never freeze it, i chop it up put it in a trug then whack it with a sterilised wooden mallet which breaks it up quite well. Its then soaked for a week in water with suger etc stirring daily. At the end of the week its strained through a muslin bag into a demijohn. Its mostly pulped by then so its an easy process. Got 2 gallons underway right now.

Welcome to the forum. I remember doing it 30 years ago and I poured sugar over chopped rhubarb and left it overnight. It dissolved if I remember correctly. Crossmyloof do a rhubarb wine yeast might be worth a go.

I remember doing it this way, just checked Berry uses this method, don't use any more as too much effort :)

Hi
Thanks for letting me join.
Relatively new to brewing.
I was told the best way to make rhubarb and raisin wine is to freeze 2 an a1/2 kilos of chopped up rhubarb and then let thaw out in a culinder and use the juice thst comes out to make the wine.
So my question is there is not a lot of juice so do you mash up the rhubarb to extract more.
Thanks steve

run rhubarb and sultanas through a food processor with enough water to make a sludge put it in a bucket add 1 campden tablet leave over night add 2 teaspoons of pectolase leave 3 days,squeeze through muslin add nutrient and yeast. leave 3 days until ferment slows, into demijohn and finish ferment under air lock rack into clean demi john. when it starts to clear

Thank you all.
I have squeezed out the rhubarb and it has given me 1 litre of juice.
Blittzed the raisans
Added 1/2 pint strong tea
Teaspoon of pectolase
1kg of sugar
Made up to 9 pints with water
Added yeast and nutrient.
Does not look very nice
Will put in demijon sat or Sun and see how it goes.
Will take a note of other recipes
Thank you
Will let you know how it goes.
Mixed berry 30 bottle kit to do at the weekend
Steve

Does not look very nice

Don't worry about how it looks this is tomato wine made by a member we all thought :sick: but he said it turned out well.

WP_000996.jpg

Back