Galaxy Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanworts

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm planning to do something a bit more 'of the moment than usual. Not being a massive fan of the highly-hopped pale ale styles (though I've still got much to explore), this will be my first.

I'd be grateful for some feedback on this recipe, which I've set in Brewmate as a US Pale Ale, though it's Aussy Galaxy hops. I'm not sure whether to go with a bittering hop I've used before (Northern Brewer) that I like in that role and just to add the Galaxy later, or whether to go just with Galaxy, as per my recipe here. I'm sure I've heard of people going crazy with the IBUs, though I've kept this under 40.

I haven't used us-05 before, but I've set the attenuation to 80% as I know it's quite fervent. Is this realistic? I'd pitch two packs, rehydrated.

Any help would be appreciated. As I say, it's the first one I've done like this. :thumb:

Galaxy Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (°P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.40 %
Colour (SRM): 5.1 (EBC): 10.0
Bitterness (IBU): 35.7 (Average)

86.42% Maris Otter Malt
7.41% Munich I
6.17% Wheat Malt

0.7 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

It might be interesting to compare to Gordon Strong's all galaxy pale ale.

I'm using Galaxy too at the moment and really like it especially with Citra :thumb:
US-05 is OK but I'm really liking M44 from Mangrove Jack (or MaltMillers West coast) as it flocs better and works well with new world hop forward styles.

Looks good, I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out as I've never used Galaxy for bittering, only for flavour and aroma. My AG#4 was amazing and I will absolutely repeat it, the aroma it gives off is fab. This is what I did:

5 Gallon brew
5kg Maris Otter
0.3kg Wheat malt
30g Challenger - 90 mins
20g Galaxy - 20 mins
40g Galaxy - Flameout.
US-05 got approximately 80% attenuation and eventually settled well enough in the bottles, the wheat gave decent head retention. I think it was approx 40IBUs and finished at 5.8% once the bottles were primed.

Good luck with your brew. :thumb:

Thanks all. I had a look at the Gordon Strong version. A more diverse grain bill and hop additions more spread out.

I do wonder whether to do a "45 minute" Galaxy, adding the hops almost continuously from 45 minutes, or at least at 5 min intervals. Has anyone done this (even with a different hop)?

Alternatively, I may be better to just bitter at 60 mins with something I know, and add Galaxy in increasing doses from 20 mins, all to around 40 IBUs total.

I'm now thinking that going one way or the other out of those two options may be more interesting than the recipe I posted.

:hmm:

Perhaps use a small amount of a good bittering hop like Columbus from the start of the boil, and then start adding Galaxy around 40 minutes? Like 40, 30, 20, 10, 5, 0. And dry, obviously. :thumb:

I'm just supping a bottle of pale ale which I made a few months ago. I used 15g of Northern Brewer in a 20l brew for the 60 minute boil. For 20 mins I used 30g of galaxy and 10g of N brewer. Flameout was 50g of galaxy and 20g of galaxy for dry hopping.
Fact is it was rather too bitter. It has improved after a feew months in the bottle, but it's still bitter. Since I've made very similar beers with other hops in place of the galaxy (Amarillo, chinook, citra) I've rather been blaming the galaxy for the bitter taste. I am convinced that AA% alone does not signify the bitter taste you will get. Bitterness, aromaticity etc. seem to be charachteristic of the individual hop. not just the figures you can calculate. I'd be carefull and use a bittering hop which you know the characteristics of, rather than using something which is new to you.

Brewed quite a few galaxys over the past few years, one of my favourite hops but never use to much for the bittering as I find it does make the beer a bit to bitter. Shed loads at the end.

Those last two replies may have swung it the other way, thanks!

I know I like N. Brewer for bittering and may well be safer just chucking loads of Galaxy in later on.

:thumb:

Hi mtw... this was my Galaxy Xmas brew, a little stronger than your plan at 5.2%, but a cracking pint. Used Northdown/Target for bittering however Galaxy would have done just as good a job. The Cascade complements the Galaxy nicely.

A24 Golden Galaxy Xmas Edition (Special/Best/Premium Bitter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007 (°P): 1.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.23 %
Colour (SRM): 5.9 (EBC): 11.7
Bitterness (IBU): 39.1 (Average)

70% Maris Otter Malt (Warminster)
25% Munich malt
5% Wheat Malt

0.4 g/L Northdown (9.3% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
0.3 g/L Target (12% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
0.4 g/L Galaxy (13.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 7 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Galaxy (13.9% Alpha) @ 7 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Galaxy (13.9% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Aroma)
0.5 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
1.7 g/L Galaxy (14.9% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)

Fermented at 20°C with Hopback brewery

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Thanks B2B.

Having never used Munich before, I have no idea whether, my planned 300g will have any effect at all. Your 25% presumably did. I was going cautiously even with that, though I'm still open to suggestions.

I'd initially thought that the best way to get to know Galaxy would be to use it as the single hop. After some of the comments, I now reckon that it's bittering properties may just confuse the issue, and I think I will just see what it does later in the boil.

I think the Munich added some deeper maltiness, and colour, without the caramel flavours you get from the darker / crystal malts. And as you say, if you're exploring Galaxy it's a great on its own hop anyway.

The book (Designing Great Beers) says Munich is "kilned at temperatures just above pale malt to provide body and rich maltiness" - which aligns with what I found.

My next foray is into heavier use of Belgian Biscuit from the Malt Miller got a 25kg sack there last week - my taste is for the lighter coloured ales, and I'm currently obsessed with Galaxy and Amarillo, so will be generating a number of brews with differing proportions of these as my next half dozen brewdays. Although Biscuit contains no enzymes, so need to formulate recipes carefully to compensate.

Well I definitely like body and big maltiness! One of the things I have not liked in some very pale single hop ales is the lack of both.

I will up the Munich a bit.

Going with this tomorrow morning, taking all the above into account. :thumb:

Galaxy Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)
23 Litre Batch

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (°P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.40 % before priming (4.6%ABV in bottle)
Colour (SRM): 5.2 (EBC): 10.2
Bitterness (IBU): 36.9 (Average)

81.48% Maris Otter Malt 3.3KG
12.35% Munich I 0.5KG
6.17% Wheat Malt 0.25Kg

0.9 g/L Northern Brewer (9.7% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) 20g
0.7 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) 15g
1.1 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) 25g
0.4 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) 10g

Fermented with Safale US-05

Notes:
Sparge:

First Batch: Top up with 4.9L of boiling water after the mash, to get 76C mashout, plus 9.96L @76C.
Allow to settle for 10-15 mins. Drain.

Second batch: 14.86L @ 76C, 10 mins, drain.

Just finished the brew. I steeped for 15 mins after flame out, before chilling. Terrific smell! I know that I could go longer (and maybe chill to 80 first), but I'm still getting used to my gear and there's a limit how long I want it sitting around, as I can end up getting delayed before pitching anyway.

Boil off was even greater than expected, but gravities were pretty spot on relative to that, so collected 21 litres at 1.046. I will top up with 2L of Tesco Ashbeck straight from the bottle at some point, which should give me the target of 23L @ 1042.. Do you reckon that's OK (rather than boiling/cooling 2L of water)?

I will top up with 2L of Tesco Ashbeck straight from the bottle at some point, which should give me the target of 23L @ 1042.. Do you reckon that's OK (rather than boiling/cooling 2L of water)?

That's what I do. No problems yet.

Latest posts

Back