garden shredder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have an electric garden shredder/chipper which I no longer use as the blades are blunt and replacements are no longer available. While searching for a grape mill, I came across a range of fruit crushers which work on the same principal as a shredder. Mine is not suitable for grape milling, but as I anticipate a large crop next year, I thought it might work for apples if they are cut in half first. Has anyone out there tried this?

I saw one of these used on river cottage once by some cider makers it worked a treat all they did was chop into quarters ten pulped

if you can remove the blades you can sharpen them , if you cant sharpen yourself then some tool hire places can do it for you and ssome gardening places that sharpen lawnmower blades can aslo do it.
then you can use to chop up as well and would make it easier if you can clean it and sterilise/sanitise it before use.

I removed the blades. They were in bad shape as I'd put a lot of woody stuff through it. By the time I'd got a good edge back on them, they did not protrude so far as before and there was no provision to adjust their position. I guess I could use a drill to extend the holes for the securing screws...

Theres going to be problems with drilling through those blades.
If theyre any good, they should be hard as F^&&.
plus drilling would make the blade weaker and more lickly to shear of and go flying :eek:

Buy some newys. Nice and shiny, clean too :)

I got some replacement blades for my shredder a while ago when the old ones had gone knackered, were fairly cheap if I remember :!: I don't think its worth the effort of trying to re-use the old ones.

I bought it about 5 years ago. It was remarkably cheap and unsurprisingly, inefficient. I did see spare blades once, but they were relatively expensive. The model and blades were soon discontinued. As I recall, I think I did attempt to extend the fixing holes, without success. I've checked the aperture, which is only 20 mm, so I'd have to slice the apples, which have an average diameter of 8 cms, and as it would be for wine, rather than cider, I might just as well toss the slices into a bin with water and pectic enzyme, or even easier, use the pulpmaster.
Anyway, just an idea, and thanks for your replies

it would probly be cheaper to take them to a place that deals in lawn mowers and tractors ect and they shoud be able to sharpen the blades up or then again it probly will be cheaper to go and buy some new ones all depends on how much they are worn down

For several years now I have used a petrol engine garden shredder to produce the pomace prior to pressing - and it's absolutely b****y marvellous. Before I used a broyeur - rather like a ribbed washing mangle - and it did little more than gently crush the apples but left my arms aching. Furthermore the pressed juice yield, from the garden shredder produced pomace, was far higher than that from the broyeur. Without going out to the annexe - far too cold, dark and wet at present - I can't say what the power of the shredder is. However I would be loath to try to do the job with most electric garden shredders, for I fear that I would burn the motor long before producing a decent pomace! However I can't understand why anyone would want to use such a piece of kit on grapes. My grapes go through the broyeur and then into the press. I've got a second broyeur, if anyone wishes to purchase it. Only problem is that it's in France and I don't deliver!

an electric shedder should do apples no problem. 1/2'd or quarters. They can shred most branches upto about 15mm which are wood, much harder than apples.

Fallen in love with your broyeur, a word I've never heard! Maybe worth a trip to collect. My daughter got married in Italy and I had an itinery planned, incorporating German vineyards and returning via Franch ones, but the old Volvo was playing up so I flew there and back, an experience I would never want to repeat.

A few things to consider

1) How well are the electric motors insulated? There is going to be a lot of juice flying around inside.
2) Most Garden shredders are made to deal with dry materials, Wet materials can clog the internals and outlets.
3) Contamination from the iron or steel blades. Cider should only come into contact with plastic glass or Stainless Steel.

Latest posts

Back