GAS choice with corny kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderwebster

Reaction score
Right Gang another question ......I am thinking now of getting a couple of Cornies , I just need your expert advice on what Gas system to use .....soda stream with independent reducers on them for each corny or one cylinder with a splitter connection to feed both kegs . It will be mainly for ales so gas pressures will be low , but i would like the ability to do some decent lager type beers , basically whats the cheapest and most pratical in the long run......cheers

If you're only planning having two kegs then just go with one CO2 cylinder, single regulator and split the lines.

I did the above and wouldn't change it.

Cheapest in the long run are 6.35kg pub CO2 cylinders. Gram-for-gram sodastream cylinders are a very expensive way to buy CO2.

How many buildings have burned down thanks to your activities?ashock1
Luckily none. I got two brand new fire extinguishers from work, they were still boxed but were surplus to requirement and had gone over 12 months without a service inspection.

12kg of gas for free. Should last me 18 months or so. Not sure what I'll do after though, might have an issue getting them refilled? And I don't want to waste money with BOC - I don't like the monopoly they have and disprove of their "rental" scam.

Luckily none. I got two brand new fire extinguishers from work, they were still boxed but were surplus to requirement and had gone over 12 months without a service inspection.

12kg of gas for free. Should last me 18 months or so. Not sure what I'll do after though, might have an issue getting them refilled? And I don't want to waste money with BOC - I don't like the monopoly they have and disprove of their "rental" scam.
Air liquide I think is who I use, not charged rental as such, I think I'm charged about 14 quid for 7kg.

Dunno, I think the guys in branch maybe waived it for me. I get it through West Highland gas in oban.

I have just set up an account with BOC 3 quid a month for a 6 kg cylinder SB or B type plus a charge for a refill .

Well least I Know the cylinder is good , I have only done it on direct debit so if I do come across a cylinder that as got a long test date on it I might stop the DD and buy that , .......Anyway what else can I spend my money on.........Beer ...lol

Yes Air Liquide normally charge a one off payment for a bottle which is refundable of I think in the region of £60 ish once you have got the bottle they exchange it for a already filled one for £17. Sometimes depending on the person and depot they may forgo the deposit for the bottle but either way it is refundable. I use them and it is a very cheap way of getting the gas also the exchange bottles are always well in date for years as it may take you upto 2 years to use the 6kg of gas

Yes Air Liquide normally charge a one off payment for a bottle which is refundable of I think in the region of £60 ish once you have got the bottle they exchange it for a already filled one for £17. Sometimes depending on the person and depot they may forgo the deposit for the bottle but either way it is refundable. I use them and it is a very cheap way of getting the gas also the exchange bottles are always well in date for years as it may take you upto 2 years to use the 6kg of gas
Will look into them for supplying gas when my extinguishers eventually run out and I find I can't get them refilled.

Although BOC's rental charge isn't all that much, it is the principle that winds me up and that £36 per year equates to two Air Liquide refills.

So a refundable deposit or something?

I think they have a depot in Aberdeen, even though it doesn't show on their branch locator.
I found this address
Greenbank Road
East Tullos Industrial Estate
Aberdeen Aberdeenshire AB12 3BQ
United Kingdom

someone also told me about adams gas (jaz 07814346719), they sell you the bottle and charge you for the refill. they are past Ellon

Latest posts

Back