Gas leaked out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbadgie

Reaction score
Hi, I seem chronically unable to keep the pressure in a keg. I replaced all the rubbers, even bought a complete new top for my King Keg, but still the gas leaks out. Any suggestions on i) how to keep the gas inside and ii) how can I now repressurise a full barrel (which I don't think I'm supposed to do with a gas bulb). Thanks

Unfortunately these types of kegs are a bit rubbish at keeping the gas in. It is often something as simple as a few rough bits on the keg neck that stop it giving a good seal, fairly easy to rectify with a bit of sandpaper stuck to a flat surface. But they leak in other ways. There are many threads on here if you search.

If you really want a true fix have a look at this: Buffers Brewery Pressure Barrel “Bung”

Personally I switched to Cornelius kegs years ago and have never looked back.

If you can get it to seal you can re-pressurise by re-priming, just add the same amount of sugar as when you first primed the barrel and wait a few weeks for it to ferment. Added bonus is the alcohol content of the beer gets a bit higher 😀

The usual suspect is the HB valve. You can pressurise your barrel with a CO2 capsule and then give the top a thorough spray with soapy water and look for bubbles. Put a penny in top of the HB valve before you spray as it'll help show any leaks from the non-return valve rubber under the cap.

thanks very much all. I've ordered a different make of cap. hopefully that could help too

when this happened last time the bubbles were coming up through the top of the valve. I can test this again, it's just getting a nearly full barrel repressurized to do the test that's the problem.

I had pbs and got shut one reason was as above and lack of control as i had no fridge at the time, i now have 5 cornys i know it's an outlay but, if i sold mine today i could undercut online prices and still make a profit, and they last a life time

If it's the S30 Valve thats leaking what i did to stop a leak on a s30 leaking valve rubber i had fitted to a corny keg lid was to fit two small zip ties around the rubber did the trick

DId you get any stuff from balliihoo like that top?
Hi, I seem chronically unable to keep the pressure in a keg. I replaced all the rubbers, even bought a complete new top for my King Keg, but still the gas leaks out. Any suggestions on i) how to keep the gas inside and ii) how can I now repressurise a full barrel (which I don't think I'm supposed to do with a gas bulb). Thanks

No S30 valve came from a Scotish home brew shop now taken over by love brewing. I do use balliihoo via topcashback from time to time not had any issues with them

Back