Genius MkII Experiment on Saturday - Random Brew on Sunday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:clap: :clap: Well earned rest - looking forward to the pics :cool:

Oh - and, go get a beer! :drink:

aye.. that's a bloody good idea.

:drunk: <- that's me passing out from exhaustion not alcamahol ;)

jesus i've got 42 photos of today on my phone... some of those will be duplicates where the focus was ****, but i reckon there's still a fair few!

i've got a cracking headache so i'm gunna head to bed and catch up on some much needed sleep.

will post the pics tomorrow as promised ;)

g'night y'all

Ok here we go :)

most people's brewdays dont start out with a drive in the car, but at the late time of 9:50 I jumped in my car for the 45 min drive to the brewshop

IMAGE_605.jpg

dunno why i took a pic of that, but hey who cares :lol:

Once i got back from the brewshop i set everything up and weighed out my grain

IMAGE_606.jpg

IMAGE_613.jpg

the mash hit 65.8c.... close enough :)

so on goes the lid for the 2 hour mash

IMAGE_614.jpg

then i went and did my monthly shopping at waitrose

I had previously set up my wine ready for bottling. with an aim to do it while the mash was on. i'm glad i didn't.

IMAGE_616.jpg

IMAGE_617.jpg

for a kit wine its looking pretty good eh?

IMAGE_615.jpg

The mash finished and only lost 0.8 degrees over the 2 hours... this mash tun aint arf bad!

IMAGE_620.jpg

so off go the first runnings

IMAGE_621.jpg

I never learned that i should rehydrate my irish moss before chucking it into the brew until day before yesterday when i saw a post here about an IPA

So here it is rehyrdated itself... it really smells like seaweed, and you'd expect it to taste salty but it didn't weirdly hehe

IMAGE_632.jpg

time for a pint while waiting for the hot break

IMAGE_633.jpg

ahh ****!! i forgot to take photos of the boil! :( well most of you should know by now what hot break looks like :lol:

i stuck to my recipe and add 70g northern brewer at the start of boil. 30g after 30 mins, and 30g with irish moss for the last 15.

in went the chiller

IMAGE_635.jpg

and ******** i forgot to take an image of the cold break too! it wasn't that impressive actually... infact i'd say i had less cold break this time than when i hadn't rehydrated my irish moss.

so anyway, i collected the wort into one fermenter which i'd later syphon off into smaller containers. i did this because i usually end up having to water down the wort to target OG cos it comes out so ruddy strong! so in order to maintain continuity across the split wort, i had to mix the water in one container first ;)

IMAGE_636.jpg

and here they are, all lined up :)

IMAGE_637.jpg

but my work wasn't yet done!

i still had to bottle the wine :( and by this point i was feeling quite knackered, but in the name of brewing it had to be done

i filled a fermenter with sanitiser, and used a piece of copper pipe to shove the bottles under the surface to fill up, so i didnt scald myself

IMAGE_638.jpg

while the bottles were sanitising i syphoned off the wine into something easier to bottle from

IMAGE_639.jpg

i rinsed the first batch of bottles under the tap, and lined them up within easy reach of the bucket.

IMAGE_640.jpg

i then put the next batch of bottles in the sanitiser so they cleaned while i was filling the first batch ;)

I sanitised a colander and threw my corks in

IMAGE_641.jpg

now this was the bit that may make or break my wine. i was told at the brewshop that these corks are silicone coated, and so only needed a rinse and not a soak. which is fine. BUT i decided NOT to chuck the corks in the sanitiser. my reasoning for this was because i thought the corks would absorb the sanitiser, which would then mix with the wine and ruin it. PLEASE tell me my thinking was correct :?: if not, then oh **** lesson learned hehe

anyways, on with the filling!

IMAGE_642.jpg

i wasn't sure how much headspace i needed, but recalled Vossy telling me not much because of oxidisation or something. so i filled them with the idea of only having about 5-10mm of headspace. i do hope i got that right!

there's definitely an art to corking my first batch of corked bottles were a bit all over the place. you have to get the pressure and speed just right to get it to glide in and stop just beneath the lip of the bottle.

IMAGE_643.jpg

some of the corks went quite far in, but later expanded back to the rim. some corks were sitting proud and so i had to give it one last quick stab with the corker to get it back in.

some bottles ended up with no headspace at all, and some were fine.

Latest posts

Back