Get Er Brewed - stupid delivery prices

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Malt supply not as local as I'd hoped. :)

Thanks though, I'll check out the HBC for my next order.

Lol if I 'bought local' a sack of malt would be 58 quid! Can't go wrong with the HBC - I've had great service all the way, great quality, best prices and ye they use DPD just like MM (apparently) so you can track your parcel all the way, right up to the minute they turn up!

Thought I'd just add my recent delivery escapade with GEB! Subsequently my LAST order for GEB. I'm out.

Yesterday I had a bit of a meltdown kind of day and ordered some grain and yeast on GEB. Then I realised that I forgot to add something, so I emailed asking if I could order it with collection as delivery option, but it just be put into my other delivery box. No response. The item was simply a Wyeast sachet! So I accepted that it was my fault, and so I paid another £6 for delivery.

Then, (again my own fault).. noticed that I'd bought wheat malt instead of torrified wheat. So I ordered the correct thing, and added another £40 worth of bits and bobs, I thought I might as well. (just small stuff like salts and acids etc). So I emailed them and said, I really need the torrified wheat for Thursday, could I have next day delivery or something? If they consolidate all packages into one.

They responded with "Yes, but it's another £6... please go to the website and buy this delivery item".

Considering I'd paid 3 lots of £6 for delivery already I thought this was a bit off. So I emailed back, that I understood the extra cost is normal, but could we both agree that on this occasion, having already paid £18 for delivery (and not gone over the 30kg limit for a single delivery), that I have paid enough to warrant next day delivery at no extra cost?.

No response at all, and I just got an automated email saying the orders have been dispatched with Parcel Force 48 hour delivery.

Last time I shop with them. Like most people, I think I'll move to MM.

Try thehomebrewcompany. I live in Arisaig which is on the mainland but often classed as "off shore". Courier distribution in this are is stitched up by Menzies. The big couriers don't operate here so they off load it at high cost to the "local courier". But some suppliers like THBC and I have to say Amazon take the hit and deliver at a truly national rate. BrewUK do the same. You really have to pick and choose.

Thought I'd just add my recent delivery escapade with GEB! Subsequently my LAST order for GEB. I'm out.

Yesterday I had a bit of a meltdown kind of day and ordered some grain and yeast on GEB. Then I realised that I forgot to add something, so I emailed asking if I could order it with collection as delivery option, but it just be put into my other delivery box. No response. The item was simply a Wyeast sachet! So I accepted that it was my fault, and so I paid another £6 for delivery.

Then, (again my own fault).. noticed that I'd bought wheat malt instead of torrified wheat. So I ordered the correct thing, and added another £40 worth of bits and bobs, I thought I might as well. (just small stuff like salts and acids etc). So I emailed them and said, I really need the torrified wheat for Thursday, could I have next day delivery or something? If they consolidate all packages into one.

They responded with "Yes, but it's another £6... please go to the website and buy this delivery item".

Considering I'd paid 3 lots of £6 for delivery already I thought this was a bit off. So I emailed back, that I understood the extra cost is normal, but could we both agree that on this occasion, having already paid £18 for delivery (and not gone over the 30kg limit for a single delivery), that I have paid enough to warrant next day delivery at no extra cost?.

No response at all, and I just got an automated email saying the orders have been dispatched with Parcel Force 48 hour delivery.

Last time I shop with them. Like most people, I think I'll move to MM.

Best to call rather than email. I've done that more than once and called them within a couple of hours of realising the mistake and they've added them to the same order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol if I 'bought local' a sack of malt would be 58 quid! Can't go wrong with the HBC - I've had great service all the way, great quality, best prices and ye they use DPD just like MM (apparently) so you can track your parcel all the way, right up to the minute they turn up!

We have a world class maltsters (Fawcetts) just down the road in Castleford. Definitely something wrong with the system if we can get malt cheaper from Ireland than Yorkshire.

We have a world class maltsters (Fawcetts) just down the road in Castleford. Definitely something wrong with the system if we can get malt cheaper from Ireland than Yorkshire.

Ye I know... good stuff but far from the cheapest if bought through the regular outlets. It wouldn't do for me to buy it direct ( even if that's possible) as I get 'everything else' at the same time when buying malt.

I don't understand the concept of emailing when you are in urgent need to speak with someone. Pick up the phone and speak to someone

The trouble is most of the time they dont answer the phone or return your call if you leave a message. Its a shame as the recipe creator is a really good idea and is really easy to use.

But then I’ve email both HBC and Malt Miller and they’ve emailed back and sorted within the hour. Maltmiller had messaged me back and sorted it in 10 minutes if I remember correctly.

I've been wanting to get some chevalier malt and can only find it in two places: Texas and Pennsylvania. One does UPS and the other ships FedEx. To get 10 pounds from either one would add up to nearly $50 with shipping.
I e-mailed my local and he said he can order it, but only in a 55 pound bag which would cost $99. I'd really like to try this malt in a couple of recipes, but $5 a pound is too rich for my blood and I don't need anywhere close to 55 pounds.

I'm going back to homebrewcompany after a few issues with GEB. The most annoying one was a couple of weeks back when I ordered the ingredients for my next few brews then the following day got an email saying one of the yeasts I ordered was out of stock. No apology for the inconvenience, just "what would you like instead?"

This has happened to me at least twice now, why can't they keep their stock updated on their website?

Anyway I contacted them and said "look I'll take a different yeast but I'll need a bag of Vienna malt to change the recipe to suit". Now I happened to be passing fairly close to their store later that day so asked if I could pick up the extra malt on the way. "You can but we won't have it ready till 5pm" she said. How does it take 6 hours to pack up 3kg of malt to correct an error that was their fault?

I told them that didn't really suit me. There was no "sorry for the inconvenience", in fact they didn't even reply to that. Poor customer service, and if I'd known that particular yeast was out of stock I could have changed my order to suit.

I deal with THBC all the time now as their service is second to none.I had ordered 10kg of pilsner malt and when I had checked the order it had said Minch Pale malt.Phoned them up to explain and was told that it was likely pilsner but labelled wrongly but that they would correct the issue.I asked about returning the malt and was told to keep it as it would cost more to return and low and behold less than 24 hrs later I had another delivery of pilsner.10kg up at no extra cost plus they great deals.

Wow, I mean I know its not GEB fault for the couriers terms but to be state that Inverness is not the mainland and then be aggressive and confrontational. I guess they don't realise how many customers this attitude could lose them. I'd be sending an email complaint in if it were me.

I've been wanting to get some chevalier malt and can only find it in two places: Texas and Pennsylvania. One does UPS and the other ships FedEx. To get 10 pounds from either one would add up to nearly $50 with shipping.
I e-mailed my local and he said he can order it, but only in a 55 pound bag which would cost $99. I'd really like to try this malt in a couple of recipes, but $5 a pound is too rich for my blood and I don't need anywhere close to 55 pounds.

The Maltmiller sells it https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/chevallier-heritage-malt/

The shipping list doesn’t list America on it, but since it costs £43.20 to ship to Europe Zone 4 and £56.40 to Zone 5, I’m assuming he’ll have the same shipping cost issues as his other suppliers.
Whoops did not see he was American.

Is tuere no home brew clubs near you that you all split a sack between you ? 25kgs only needs 12 people taking 2 kg a piece

So I thought I would try get er brewed for a few odds and sods I need for specific planned brews. Every single Whitelabs yeast I clicked on said back in stock soon. Did find a Wyeast I could use but it would not be my preferred yeast. I then looked at the hop range. Pellets only no leaf hops at all ffs. I now see why a lot of people complain about their sh!t service. Can't see why any one want's to use these cowboys.

I was on there the other day and also found it weird that they had virtually no White Labs yeast. I wondered if perhaps they are moving away from White Labs, I've been surprised in the past that Wyeast and White Labs are sold in the same places and don't try to strong arm shops into exclusivity.

As for hops, they have been pretty upfront that they only stock pellets as they just think they're better (there certainly used to be a statement on the site about it), anyone is free to disagree of course but I don't think it makes them cowboys.

I put a GEB order in earlier in the week and found the service spot on as always, and especially in the sale the malt is really good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back