Getting a wee bit fed up of Wyeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had two experiences with Wyeast smack packs, both bad.

Both strains failed to blow up, and when opened had clearly suffered autolysis, they were both still in date and I assumed the problems were to do with the particular retailers storage methods.

However as a result, I will probably not risk them again, brulabs or Whitelabs from rob, for liquid yeasts for me.

UP

Just a wee update, the Wyeast starter has finally kicked off.....3 days after kicking things off.

K

Aleman said:
kev said:
Aleman said:
Quite frankly expecting a pack to swell in 24 hours is being more than a little optimistic, I've had packs take 5-7 days to swell, before pitching into a starter. I even think Wyeast state that you need to allow 1 day per month from the 'born on' date on the pack. I'ce used packs more than 12 months old and even these have not taken more than 7 days to inflate.

Patience, develop, must you, young padawan
Aye fair point....but why does the pack say 3 hours?
No idea, I fell out with Wyeast before the activator packs were in existence :D

Wyeast tubes are just so much more convenient, but still suffer the same issues regarding storage in transit. I wouldn't use any liquid yeast product without making a starter first, regardless of what the instructions say. . . . and that includes slurries I have harvested myself.

+1

Latest posts

Back