Getting Started with my Corny Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
At last my long term dream is just about here. My Corny kegs are being delivered on Tuesday along with my 10L CO2 Cylinder.
As yet I still havent got a suitable fridge in place to cool the kegs but will it be ok to go ahead put beer inside and carb?
In the past I have always stored my beer in pressure barrels at room temperature cooling it down by adding ice cubes to my drinking glass. Not perfect I agree but it worked for me. Will this be ok to continue to do until a fridge is obtained?
I normally go a minimum of 6 weeks from when I brew till I drink....Now I have Cornies can I produce beer quicker? Do I continue with batch priming or isnt this recommended anymore? I have a Wilko IPA sitting here waiting to be kegged is this enough time to be able to drink by xmas?
What tips? comments or advice can u give me to get the best out of my Cornies? Serving pressures? Purging? Crash Carbing etc.
Look forward to all replies ty.

Hi!
There are loads of clips on YouTube that will guide you - that's how I got started. You may want to try force carbonation if you can get you beer cold enough.

Look up a carbonation table.

Take the temperature where you keep the kegs, how many volumes of CO2 the style needs and set the pressure accordingly.

Just keep in mind cold beer will absorb more CO2, so you will need to reduce pressure accordingly once it's in a refrigerator.

I keg carb all my beer except my cask ales.

It may be a dialect of semantics difference in US as UK, but for us, keg carb is basically just putting it on gas at a pressure appropriate for the desired CO2 volumes.

Force Carb is using a ton of excess pressure and other tricks to get it carbonated very quickly, like 1 or 2 days.

Keg (not forced) carbonation is usually ready in a week for most Ales (2-2.5 volumes) . Maybe 10 days for Hefewizen or other higher carb beers.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Here is a link to a carbonation table. I even found a Metric one.

force_carbonation.png

Latest posts

Back